Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Tower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello
I bought an HP EliteDesk 800 G2 TWR computer on Ebay ((Product No: P1G94EA # UUZ, Serial No: [Personal Information Removed], it is not yet delivered but I have a question: there is no M.2 slot on the motherboard of HP EliteDesk 800 G2 but we can of course added a PCIe M.2 adapter on the PCIe slot of the motherboard, and I would like to use a Samsung 970 NVMe disk as a boot disk, is is this possible? will the BIOS recognize the NVMe Disk on the PCIe M.2 adapter?

Unité centrale.jpg

On the manual "Maintenance and Service Guide" I see that the computer accepts M.2 PCIe disks but I do not know if the bios recognizes only disks supplied and certified by HP or all M.2 PCIe disks? that's the big question!

service Manual.jpg

HP released in 2016 a bios update for EliteDesk 800 G2 TWR / SFF
https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c05076942
and among the problems solved by this update:
"Fixed NVMe Boot Priority to allow image to be installed on the NVMe device"

Bios1.jpg

The seller has updated the BIOS of my computer to the latest version 02.47 (April 2020) before sending it.

bios2.jpg

Thanks for your help

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the great supporting info you supplied in your question. Saved me time in researching the product.

No M.2 socket on the MB generally means no OS boot support when using a PCIe M.2 adapter.

But, it looks like the BIOS update will fix this. 

You would have to try this after applying the BIOS update or wait for a better response from the forum.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the reply.
Personally I believe that the BIOS of the computer Allows to choose an NVMe disk as the boot disk, On its store, HP allows future customers to configure the new computer: the Quantity of RAM, the brand of graphics card, volume and type of hard drive: Mechanical or SSD, SATA or PCIe M.2 And of course there are necessarily customers who will choose to buy the computer with a PCIe M.2 hard drive which wants say that the BIOS necessarily allows booting on a PCIe M.2 hard drive but the big question is: Does the BIOS recognize all PCIe M.2 hard drives or only the drives sold by HP? That's the million dollar question.
If someone has already had this experience please share the result of their experience.
Thank you

service Manual.jpg

HP Recommended

HP as long as I can remember has never had a bios whitelist for SSDs anywhere.

If a particular model of SSD isn't cooperating with the system, its more likely an issue with that particular drive and maybe its firmware.

HP Recommended

The motherboard and BIOS  in your desktop PC  works with SATA3  SSD products.

An NVMe type SSD will definitely not be recognized as being present.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

So why did the 2016 bios state: "Fixed NVMe Boot Priority to allow image to be installed on the NVMe device"?

HP Recommended

Hi,

@garmcqui 

That's why I thought you would have to try this after updating the BIOS. This statement in HP's notes on BIOS update fixes could be a typographical error.

I have never encountered a motherboard that could boot to an operating system on a M.2 drive that is installed in a PCIe adapter when there is no M.2 socket on the MB.

Regards

HP Recommended

any updates here? were you bale to make it work? booting from NVME? thanks

HP Recommended

I bought an Samsung EVO Plus 250GB with a UGreen M.2-to-PCIE adaptor, it was unable to boot up Windows on BIOS version 2.47. And I did many researches and I gave up at that time.

Few days later I decided to give it the last shoot but this time I upgraded the BIOS to the latest version (released on 2020 Aug).

20200927_200349.jpg

Screenshot_20200927-200530_Gallery.jpg

Finally it works!

Fantastic!!!

Cheers!

Xxx

HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Small Form Factor PC / 32GB DDR4-2666 Ram / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2 NVMe / ASUS GeForce GT 1030 OC 2GB GDDR5
HP Recommended

I will buy the same Ugreen adapter and give it one last try. I will receive the adapter in one month

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.