Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 405 G6 DM
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,
I just bought for my daughter a working MIni PC - HP ProDesk 405 G6 DM with AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE (6x/12x). 
It's perfect for work/study - incredible processor especially combined with nVme , but the problem I see is when you load the CPU the temperature rise to 90C and more. And the Cooling Fan didn't rise the working speed. The only thing I find to prevent this overheating is to increase the minimum fan speed (the idle fan speed). When you make it 70-80% the temperature drops to around 70C at heavy load and near 40C with normal Work. But I don't think working always at 80% is OK for the Fan and it's kind of noisy especially when you don't need it.
So is there a way to control this CPU Fan from Windows (I try maybe every program for fan control and this fan is not visible), or to make the Fan Control automatic depending on temperature? This is the only problem that I see in this HP ProDesk sistem. 

This is how BIOS looksThis is how BIOS looksThis is only way to control this fan.This is only way to control this fan.

Thank you in advance. 
Best regards,
Petko Kasarov! 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@NightWalkerbg -- is the computer sitting on a hard surface, such as a table?

You do not want anything "soft" to block the air intakes from bringing room-temperature air inside the case.

Is there open space where the exhaust vents are pushing-out heated air? Don't block those vents.

HP Recommended

Thank you @Itsmyname I am almost sure that this computer is placed by the rules (pic below). Anyway, I can't see an answer to my question in your post. I ask something very specific and you are answering me with steps 1 and 2 from the beginner's guide. 

IMG_20210905_092801 (1).jpg

HP Recommended

@NightWalkerbg --  you are answering me with steps 1 and 2 from the beginner's guide. 

Since you did not post that you had already tried those steps, I recommended those steps.

Sometimes, "free advice", such as given by the volunteer contributors to this discussion forum, is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary. Good for 5 minutes or 5 steps. Caveat emptor.

P.S. Another suggestion -- experiment: extract a few of the writing instruments from that pictured white basket, and lay them down, in parallel., about 2 centimetres apart. Balance the computer case on top of those items. Measure the temperature of the computer, immediately, after 5 minutes, after 10 minutes, and after 15 minutes. Tell us if the temperature drops, and, if so, by how much, and when it dropped.

HP Recommended

@NightWalkerbg 

I didn't see you respond to the steps that @itsmyname suggested -- which is putting more air space under the Mini to see if that cools it down any.

The basic answer to your question is NO -- and since you have tried third-party fan controls apps and they do not work, then there is nothing more you can do from with Windows.

If the steps by @itsmyname work at all, then consider getting a laptop base with embedded fans -- and put the mini on that.  Those fans will draw hot air away from the mini and should cool it down enough for you to lower the minimum fan speed.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood wrote:

The basic answer to your question is NO......

Thank you for the straight answer,  this is my first HP machine and seems to be my last 🙂 

And for you @itsmyname - Thank you again, please don't think I'm not appreciating your efforts. I have no problem with the normal work of the miniPC but only when it's in heavy load. I'm measuring the temperature all the time, generally these pics are showing the temps in idle and in normal work, like word, excel, browsing the net. (and this is  when CoolerFan is set to 20%)
Temp Cpu 2.jpgTemp CPU.jpg
And even I was sure it will not work I try everything that you suggest, I even put the miniPC Opened (without cover), at the tripod in the middle of the desk - yes it drops few degrees, but still, if you put it on heavy load temp is rising over 80-90C, and you still need CoolerFan to run at 70-80% to keep it below 80C. Maybe I had to start that My hobby for more than 20 years is to assemble and support Desktop machines for me, my friends and my office. So I have some experience and knowledge with airflows and CPUs without or with a heavy load. When some processor is under heavy load there is no Airflow or positioning of the box that can cool it down - only a good cooler (mostly with a fan), can do the job. And here HP put 6 Cores 12 Threads CPU with Clockspeed: from 3.3 to 4.2GHz almost with no cooling. And in CPU marks it has results almost like Intel Core i7-9700K - So you have perfect CPU with TDP  of 35W  and you can't use it\s power?!?

So the Conclusion is:  you are buying from HP a sports car and you can drive it only in first gear.  If you want to use other gears you must go through service every time. Most peoples that will buy this miniPC didn't know what is BIOS. They expect to buy something with a powerful CPU and to use it. 

I saw that on the motherboard there is 1 more Fan connector slot, I try it but it is still not discoverable under windows at least it's working. So Maybe I will try to put 1 more Fan inside and to make 2 Fans at a lower %speed. 
I really hope that someday HP will come with an update of the motherboard or something else that will make this CoolerFan visible, or at least Add an option in BIOS to have temperature control - Like if the temperature is under 70C - 20%, when it passes 70C - 80% - is this really so hard? THis machine cost like 600-700Euros. 

Sorry for the long post, I really try to solve the problem and hope this to be of help for someone else even the case is not solved :'(.
Thank you very much to both of you, keep up the good work!  

HP Recommended

@NightWalkerbg -- I saw that on the motherboard there is 1 more Fan connector slot, I try it but it is still not discoverable under windows at least it's working. So Maybe I will try to put 1 more Fan inside and to make 2 Fans at a lower %speed. 

I suggest a modification of that: add a second fan that always runs at a constant speed.

Then, allow the motherboard to control the speed of the CPU fan -- 10% to 20% when the cooling from the second fan is sufficient for "light" usage, and then to automatically speed-up the CPU fan when the temperatures exceed 75 Celsius.  Drive down the highway, using about 30 horsepower, and having a light foot on the gas-pedal, and tromp on the gas pedal when there is a demand (climbing a long hill, or passing a slower vehicle, to "kick" the automatic transmission down to a lower gear.)

HP Recommended

Thank you again @Itsmyname

First advise I will definitely do it: 

"I suggest a modification of that: add a second fan that always runs at a constant speed."

But for the Second one, I really hope that I will have a chance to do it someday :'(. The Bios of this miniPC is very basic. If HP somehow makes the BIOS do this, the miniPC will be more than perfect, for now, it's just OK: 

"Then, allow the motherboard to control the speed of the CPU fan -- 10% to 20% when the cooling from the second fan is sufficient for "light" usage, and then to automatically speed-up the CPU fan when the temperatures exceed 75 Celsius."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.