Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion All-In-One 23 23-q214
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion All-In-One 23 (23-q214). Upon boot, I get an error that says Management Platform (ME) In Manufacturing Mode. Aside from this, I've attempted to Clear the CMOS by pulling the battery and holding in power for 30 seconds. This did not work. 

Also, when the machine is booting up, it hangs at the HP logo for about 5 minutes before it decides it wants to boot into Windows (10, Home, 64-bit)

Also, when shutting the machine down, it does not fully shut down. All fans stop, screen goes dark, light remains on as if power is still being supplied to the unit. 

Ive attempted to install the IMEI software, but it's not recognized with my system. 

Ive attempted a BIOS Update, but this did not fix the issue. 

Ive attempted the Bios password reset, this did not fix the issue. 

Ive disabled the Fast Boot within Power Options, still no luck. 

Ive attempted enabling / disabling the VT in the BIOS, still nothing. 

Ive been working on this problem for about 16 hours, and I am coming up with nothing. 

HP wants 60 dollars to diagnose this, and I am truly convinced that they are pulling a fast one. This is their product, their mess up, and they want to charge to fix it. I believe this is completely unethical. 

Does anybody have any suggestions on what could be causing this, or how to fix this?

Thanks,

Justin

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Did you take the ridiculous time required to find the correct bios/cmos update for the board at the HP web site? 

are there cmos clearing jumpers? Is it in the right place?

if you have two sticks of memory have you installed only on in dim 1?

that ridiculous time I’m referring to is to go find your computer and find the exact motherboard on the site then go to the bios firmware update and find the correct bios update.

now you haven’t indicated if this is all original, no reformat or reset added any software or hardware 

the hp techs visiting need to know that info.

now when I was point of sale systems I used to see this happen because the drivers for the touch screen would get corrupt 

i may look at the specs after you reply but but it sounds like it’s not loading the boot manager which means it’s a continuity issue or gone... but that’s a guess based on what you wrote. Nerve wracking I know but someone will help 

i just reviewed your machine.

lots of work.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. 

The BIOS update that I found was off of the HP Support website. Listed the model number of the All-In-One, and it gave me an option of 2 possible Bios updates. 

The one I chose was SP88977, and it seemed to take with no problem. 

I can attempt to boot with only 1 stick of ram, those have not been touched.

I will attempt to find the other BIOS's via the model number of the motherboard itself, just seems like there is more work that needs to be put into this machine that what should be required. 

HP Recommended

Is the touch screen functioning? 

If you disabled it and the drivers are searching for it it’ll hang

if it’s enabled and the drivers are corrupt it’ll hang

same with anything added or changed

HP Recommended

Yes, the touch screen has been functioning all along. I have not done anything with disabling/renabling it. When I first received the unit, it would not boot period, which made me think it was a windows update that caused the hang. 

I opened the unit up, pulled the cmos battery for about 30 seconds, put it back in, and then manufacturer mode started to appear. 

I was then able to successfully get into Windows. Then, I updated the BIOS, because on the older systems, I remember a recovery BIOS option fixed a lot of the Envy's that originally ran Win 7. 

Edit: Tried with only one stick of Ram with same results. 

Edit: On HP's Website, looking at a list of drivers associated to the 23-q214. The HP Consumer Desktop / Notebook PC ME Firmware update fails to install. (SP90139) (Integrity Failure) Also, Attempted to install Intel Management Engine Interface Driver (SP73242) and that also fails with "This platform is not supported". If these are failing, maybe it helps to know. It might point us in the directly of the true failure with this board. 

I am going to attempt to roll back the BIOS to the previous version. 

HP Recommended

Scrapping the project. 

HP doesn't do anything to support their own mess-ups. I will forever be anti-HP from this point forward. A lot of consumers come to me for recommendation, and HP used to be an answer, but not anymore after the way I was treated. [Language removed per Rules Of Participation]

HP Recommended

@Spencetacular

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hey spence

dont give up! 

I’m really interested in discovering the resolve!

youre not just helping yourself you’re helping possibly thousands after you’re fixed!

example 

i discovered how to repair easily a Kodak picture printer that had an engineering flaw in 2006

to date I still get “you helped xxxx people”

that number was 5,413 people  last week!!!

HP Recommended

It's pointless. 

I want to fix this item, I really do, but HP Tech support said "Bring it to a local repair shop because you are out of warranty". I am the local repair shop. HP Support is horrid, and they don't do anything unless you have "Warranty". Warranty should cover defects, like a non-bootable board. In our case, this is strictly an HP issue, and they refuse to acklowledge it. These computers are ticking time bombs so to speak. In my eyes, this is being done on purpose to force consumers to buy new product because it's deemed "old", so it must be time to get a new one. 

Getting a new motherboard for this machine is possible, but it does not solve the original issue, as it will happen again with any new board. This is a sabotage on HP's part. 

If you have anymore suggestions, I'll put the unit back up on the bench and continue troubleshooting, but I'm not seeing a fix for this anytime soon. 

HP Recommended

Listen, a voice of reason here.

i said in another post that computers are jumping into a new dimension. Like PS3-PS4.. 

The i7/9 technology is mountains over the i5 and below. 

Man, I'm old enough that I used to repair Packard Bell machines...(those were ticking TB) but there was ZERO help like this then, zero internet.

I know and appreciate your frustration. I can also tell you   No tech will help easily (unless someone like me) when you state you’ve given up. Free help gone.

but seriously you have to go through the steps. All of them.

you know a faulty intermittent dvd drive will cause the problems you’re describing?  Or a bent or damaged cable?

My first lesson was CONTINUITY, Continuity, continuity...

my second was  MSI/Via 4n1 ata drivers  on top of MB drivers.

just because something was working fine for some time doesn’t mean a cable wasnt bumped or a GPU  not seated or worse, over seated, yeah in too deep!

the parameters are crazy. And yes once I had to flash a bios backward to bring the computer to life. And it waS a pavilion. 

Doing something as as trivial as putting in too much memory will brick a machine and you have start from scratch! Yep happened 5x!

looking at the bios and verifying the correct settings for the drives the boot and making sure they’re all setup with correct jumper positions! 

Mine of my techs “borrowed” a jumper from a pc I was repairing and forgot to put it back!

silly stuff!

but also odd stuff like a faulty power supply or kinked power supply cable or something as silly as the pin popping or attaching an ata HDD 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.