Did you mean: 
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Keep getting Fan Chassis Error

HP Workstation Z440

Keep getting error on startup: Error 512- Rear Chassis Fan not detected. Press F1 to continue.

- Updated Bios but error message still persists.

- Most of the fora say to just place a fan where the error message is coming from but its a pc for a costumer of ours and there is no spare room for a fan.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MKBICT wrote:

1. Keep getting error on startup: Error 512- Rear Chassis Fan not detected. Press F1 to continue.

2. Updated Bios but error message still persists.

3. Most of the fora say to just place a fan where the error message is coming from

but its a pc for a costumer of ours and there is no spare room for a fan.

Take a look inside the customer's PC.

Click here: Rear Chassis Fan to show what you are looking for.

Shutdown the computer.

Disconnect the AC power cord.

Remove the side-panel, to expose the motherboard.

Look for that "rear" fan and also the other fan on top of the heat-sink on top of the processor.

Give each fan a "tap" on a fan-blade.

If it does not easily spin, replace it.

Check that the wires from the fan are securely-connected to the socket on the motherboard.

Reconnect the AC power.

Leave the side-panel off.

Power-on the computer, and immediately take a look -- both fans should be spinning.

Hold-down the ON/OFF button for 10 seconds, to power-off the computer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear mdklassen,

Thanks for the reply and I deffinitly will go trough that steps however..

I already detected the fan header where the message is coming from and there is no fan connected to that fan port.

So it seems to me like a "ghost" message. Somehow the MB is confusing that there is a fan connected to that port but not working correctly. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MKBICT wrote:

I already detected the fan header where the message is coming from and there is no fan connected to that fan port.

So it seems to me like a "ghost" message.

Somehow the MB is confusing that there is a fan connected to that port but not working correctly. 

The motherboard is DEMANDING that a fan be connected to that header.

Is this the original motherboard, in the original chassis?

Is this a brand-new computer, i.e., during assembly at the factory, did some worker forget to attach a fan, and forget to connect the fan's wires to the header? Or, did somebody have physical access to your computer, such that they physically removed the fan, hoping that you would not notice?

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation