Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
4CZ89EA#ABE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

background:

- HP ProDesk 400 G4 DM (4CZ89EA#ABE) bought on 12/11/2016

- RAM upgraded to 2x16GB with Kingston modules KCP426SD8/16 => perfectly recognized

- I made a clone of the original Nvme 256GB  drive with Clonezilla, standard option Full disk to image

- I restored the image to a brand new Kingston KC2000 M2 (2280) PCIe NVMe

- I proceed to the initial setup of Windows 10 from the new drive

- then I created a second partion with the remaining space

- right on the first week, I've made all updates available from HP and Windows, BIOS, Firmware, System updates and Software, and installed all the program I used to use.

- I use the desktop for around 5 weeks without any issue

Issue:

- On monday 23/12/2020 morning I found the computer the computer with a Win 10 Blue Screen: BAD STORAGE, and process of dump stucked at 0% Complete

- No response so I hard reboot and I got a message that No Boot Device, install hard drive

- I went in the BIOS and I tried a Disk diagnosis and no Drive detected

Steps solve this issue:

- at first I thought that the drive had failed and contact my local resseller

- I went at the shop and we've made some tests

- plug the KC2000 Drive in my ZBOOK G5 Laptop that have a second NVMe PCIe slot, start Windows 10 from the first drive and the Kingston was detected and I could see and browse both partition, Windows system partition and the data partition => drive IS NOT faulty

- Then put the desktop Prodesk 400 G4 DM in the same original condition, with the original 8GB RAM module ands the brand new and original 256 NVMe drive (not even made the first initial setup) and restore the BIOS to factory defaults.

=> and the original NVMe drive is also not recognized

- we then try to plug a SATA SSD Drive with a DEBIAN 10 installation, computer boots but the NVMe is not detected

Conclusion:

- all three tests points that something is wrong with the PCIe socket

I tried to follow the troubleshooting steps of various page in HP, I read many threads of the HP community but none of that information helped me to solve this issue, I'm running out of ideas.

I a way I'm happy that the drive with the data and all the time spent to update and setup my OS and software is not lost but I would like to hear that there is still anything that I can try...

I know we are on Christmas holidays but I thank you in advance for any further troobleshooting steps that won't involve the format of the KC2000 as it's clear the drive is not in question.

Have a merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Why not test it by installing the original NVCMe 256 GB SSD and powering it up?  

That would further isolate the issue.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for that suggestion, as I said, but Ishould precise:

"Then put the desktop Prodesk 400 G4 DM in the same original condition, with the original 8GB RAM module ands the brand new and orginial 256 NVMe drive (not even made the first initial setup) and restore the BIOS to factory defaults."

I've already done that, without success, that's why I think something is wrong with the NVMe connecto on the board.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.