Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

LaCie 4TB External HD Probems

HP ProDesk 600 G3 Microtower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there a known issue with my HP ProDesk 600 G3 Microtower PC and LaCie d2 9000443 USB 3.0 (4TB) Desktop External Hard Drives?  The desktop computer is new as are the 4 LaCie external HDs. 

The system seems to work ok with one of the LaCie drives attached to the desktop but when all Four (4) drives are attached the desktop locks up and although the drives are visible in File Explorer they cannot be accessed.  The system has (4) USB 3.1 USB ports.

Any help resolving this problem would be greaty appreciated.  These same 4 external drive worked just fine on my old desktop.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do the external disk-drives pull electrical power from the computer, or do they have their own power-supplies?

You could be asking the motherboard to supply more wattage to the USB ports than the motherboard allows, i.e., there's enough wattage for one or two "host-powered" external disk-drives, but not for 3 or 4 of them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> when all Four (4) drives are attached the desktop locks up ...

Does the Windows Task Manager show 4 instances of your anti-virus scanner running, with each instance virus-scanning one of the 4 devices?  That certainly could "monopolize" your processor, making it appear to be a "lockup" situation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the input.  Each external HD has it's own power brick which does not need motherboard power.    I'm wondering if the motherboard is defective.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I'm wondering if the motherboard is defective.

Measure, measure, measure.

1. Turn the computer off.

2. Disconnect all the external disk-drives.

3. Turn the computer on, and let Windows boot.

4. Open the Windows Task Manager, and switch to the "Performance" tab.

5. Windows Update may briefly run, and consume some resources.  Wait for the computer to be "idle".

6. Attach one disk-drive, and watch that "Performance" window to any changes.

7. Connect the 2nd disk-drive, and watch that "Performance" window to any changes.

8. Connect the 3rd disk-drive, and watch that "Performance" window to any changes.

9. Connect the 4th disk-drive, and watch that "Performance" window to any changes.

Tell us what you see.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation