Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6t-7000
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

My HP pavillion dv6t-7000 won’t start up properly— only a black screen appears with the cursor at the point when the windows login would usually appear (directly after the windows starting up page). I’ve tried restarting my computer multiple times (normally, safe mode, & completed a restore). My laptop has scanned the hard drives twice. Ultimately, nothing is working. Please help. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat

AND/OR - Power on your PC, press Esc (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

AND/OR - Windows Logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B
(This key sequence actually restarts you graphics drive(W10 only).)

AND/OR - If you’re using multiple displays, try projecting video to a different monitor.
Press the Windows Logo key + P, select a display, and then press Enter.

HP Recommended

Hi! Thank you for replying. Unfortunately, none of these suggestions have worked. Because I failed to mention this in my orginal post, I will add that each time I power my laptop back on after powering it off/ performing a hard reset, it immediately goes to a Windows Recovery Error message (saying windows did not shut down successfully). When I start it up normally or in safe mode, it goes to the black screen following the windows start up screen.

When I went to perform the systems test, I ended up doing a start up test and a hard disk fast test (since a systems test wasn’t an option). The hard disk fast test passed; however, the start up test failed. It says to replace the primary battery (Failure ID 9C7363-8BE9GG-QFPK0K-C08U03). Conviently, I already had a new battery for this computer, so I put in the new battery. I completed another hard reset and reran the check. I received the same battery failure ID. I’m not sure if this is related to my computer not being able to start up correctly. I would think it would still be able to start up being connected to the AC adapter even though it isn’t. Any other advice?

HP Recommended

Hi

Windows Shut Down can be mis-leading, in that it suspends rather than shuts down.  A dirty bit is set on the hard disk.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/manually-reset-or-clear-dirty-bit-in-windows-without-chkdsk/

https://www.top-password.com/blog/how-to-manually-clear-or-set-dirty-bit-on-windows-volume/

So I suggest trying to repair the disk area, using this as a rough reference...

W7 and W10 Repair.pngRecovery Reinstall.pngW8 Repair.png

This may help with the shut down cleanly problem

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/48965-making-w10-shutdown-instead-hibernating.html

If in doubt please ask.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.