Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Slib Desktop 260-p026
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it possible to boot the hard disk in legacy mode?

I've actually converted the disk from GPT to MBR and back again, but was unable to find any way to boot it when it was MBR.  I'm beginning to suspect it's simply not possible to boot the system in legacy mode.

(I'm able to boot DVDs and USB sticks in legacy mode.  That's not what I'm interested in)_.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you install the OS while the system is in legacy mode (MBR) a master boot record will be created and the hard drive will be booted in legacy mode. If you install the OS while in UEFI and use GPT it will not boot in legacy mode.

I hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  I certainly had no desire to re-install the OS, but I've solved the problem.  

The point of all this was to be able to use a boot manager BooiIt Bare Metal from Terabyteunlimited.com which doesn't work on GPT disks.  They provide instructions for converting GPT disks to (E)MBR disks.  I had done that and it seemed that the converted disk would not boot.  I still don't know why.  Maybe given my unfamiliarity with all this, I just didn't get the right combinations of BIOS settings the first time.   I realy don't know, but I've been successful since posting.

HP Recommended

Good. I am happy you were able to resolve your problem.

All the best,

David

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.