Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Recline All-in-One 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have installed a new 2.5" hard drive. We have a copy of Windows 10 on a DVD installed on an external drive through USB. First of all we get a message that the PC cannot boot. On checking the hard drive, it is shown as No Drive Fitted.

We checked the hard drive to see that it was connected and it is okay.  Can anyone help us to overcome this problem so that we can install Windows 10? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

>  The reason I don't think there is an appropriate driver is because the Windows installation setup cannot find one when I direct it to the DVD.

I don't understand.

Does your computer start to boot from the DVD, and then, during the "setup" process, it reports that a disk-drive cannot be found?

> We are not sure about installing the disc-drive on our other computer as it may not be compatible.

It will be compatible.

Any SATA disk-drive can be temporarily connected to any computer as a "secondary" disk-drive.

Boot that computer from the "primary" disk-drive, as normal, and try to access the "secondary" disk-drive.

> On the HP Envy using HP Diagnostics when I choose Check Disk it merely returns the message that No Drive is Installed.

Possibilities:

1. Dead disk-drive.  Try connecting it as a "secondary" drive in some other computer.
  2. No electrical power reaching the disk-drive.
  3. The SATA cable is not tightly connected to the motherboard.
  4. The SATA cable is not tightly connected to the disk-drive.
  5. The BIOS is configured to "ignore" any disk-drive connected to a specific SATA port -- quite easy to do on my older DELL desktop system. Not common to have this feature on HP motherboards.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

> We have installed a new 2.5" hard drive.

> We have a copy of Windows 10 on a DVD installed on an external drive through USB.

Is Windows 10 truly "installed" on the external drive, or is it the software necessary to install Windows 10?

> First of all, we get a message that the PC cannot boot. On checking the hard drive, it is shown as No Drive Fitted.

From page 57 of the User Guide for your computer:

Changing the computer boot order

If computer does not restart in HP Recovery Manager, you can change the computer boot order,

which is the order of devices listed in BIOS where the computer looks for startup information.

You can change the selection for an optical drive or a USB flash drive.  To change the boot order:

1. Insert the HP Recovery media you created.
  2. Restart the computer, quickly press esc, and then press f9 for boot options.
  3. Select the optical drive or USB flash drive you want to boot from.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

While you are in BIOS SETUP, it should show that the SSD is connected. Does it?

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt reply. Many thanks for your help.

The Windows 10 is just a copy of the software, not an alternative start-up drive.

Unfortunately, we do not have a Recovery Media disc.

I did as suggested and started with Esc and F9 but obviously had no alternative drive to boot on.

Is there something else we can try?

HP Recommended

> The Windows 10 is just a copy of the software, not an alternative start-up drive.

> Unfortunately, we do not have a Recovery Media disc.

Those two statements seem to be contradictory.  I think that the copy IS the required media.

> I did as suggested and started with Esc and F9 but obviously had no alternative drive to boot.

After pressing F9, what options were presented to you?

Or, after entering BIOS SETUP, what devices are listed as being eligible as "bootable" devices?

Can you add "external USB CDROM" to that list?

Then, reboot, and try F9 again.

HP Recommended

Hello again and thank you for your patience.

Only  options for boot-up at first were controllers but I did manage to finally get a boot-up option for the DVD.. 

But when I start to download the software, it asks for drivers for the  hard drive which I can't find on the Windows 10 DVD.

Do you know if it could be the fact that the new drive we have installed is a Seagate Barricuda SATA 2TB not an HP drive? Although the original one was not an HP either.

Sorry  to be a pain but can you offer any more suggestions.

Marion

HP Recommended

Exactly which model do you have?

An Internet search gives several model in the series:

HP ENVY Recline TouchSmart 23-k027c All-in-One
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03926770

HP ENVY Recline TouchSmart All-in-One 23-k302d
https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04428032

HP ENVY Recline 23-k009c TouchSmart All-in-One
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-Recline-23-All-in-One...

HP ENVY Recline 23 and 27 TouchSmart All-in-One PCs
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04092080

HP ENVY Recline 23-k011 TouchSmart All-in-One …
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03937129

Example:

Product number: J1F18AA

Release date: 26-Aug-2014
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

>  It asks for drivers for the  hard drive which I can't find on the Windows 10 DVD.

From where did you get that media?

A free download from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ???

From: Software and driver results for: HP ENVY Recline 23-k009c TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC

I do not see any HP-provided device-drivers for Windows 10.

To me, this implies that all the required device-drivers are incorporated on the Windows 10 DVD.

Thus, HP does not need to offer any device-drivers for your "older" hardware.

HP states that every HP computer manufactured after August 2013, which includes your computer, has been tested for compatibility with Windows 10.

> Do you know if it could be the fact that the new drive we have installed is a Seagate Barricuda SATA 2TB not an HP drive? Although the original one was not an HP either.

HP has never manufactured their own disk-drives.  They prefer to buy disk-drives from manufacturers, such as Western Digital or Seagate/Maxtor.  Obviously, more economical than HP having their own design-engineers & manufacturing capability.

Enter BIOS SETUP, and tell us the settings (IDE? AHCI? RAID?) for the disk-drive.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the extensive reply.

I am offered the following options for booting up:

UEFI IPv4 Realtek PcIe GBE Family Controller

UEFI IPv6 Realtek PcIe GBE Family Controller

Details of the PC from the label underneath are:

Model TRc-0012

[personal information removed]

Product No. G7550EA#ABU

HP ENVY Recline22 TouchSmart All-in-one PC

Country sold: Czech Republic

No drivers are on the Windows 10 DVD. This is one that we bought from Amazon. We have used it successfully before on this computer with the previous drive.

The reason we decided to install a new drive was because attempts at repairing the drive were being made  by Windows every time the computer started up. This was happening  frequently.

I am not getting any settings for the disc drive because it cannot be found -NO DRIVE INSTALLED.

I hope I have given you sufficient information for you to understand the problem and look forward to hearing from you again.

HP Recommended

> No drivers are on the Windows 10 DVD.

How can you tell?  The media contains device-drivers for literally hundreds of devices -- keyboards, mice, video-cards, sound-cards, network-cards, USB memory-sticks, et cetera.

> This is one that we bought from Amazon.

> We have used it successfully before on this computer with the previous drive.

That's good to know.

> The reason we decided to install a new drive was because attempts at repairing the drive were being made  by Windows every time the computer started up. This was happening  frequently.

Yes, failure to write the "repairs" to the disk-drive causes the problem to never get "fixed".

> I am not getting any settings for the disc drive because it cannot be found -NO DRIVE INSTALLED.

That is "bad news", if BIOS SETUP cannot "see" the disk-drive.

Can you connect the disk-drive to some other computer, and enter BIOS SETUP on that computer, to see if that other computer can "see" the disk-drive?

If you launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics, can it "see" the disk-drive, in order to run the appropriate tests?

HP Recommended

Good morning and thanks again for your help.

The reason I don't think there is an appropriate driver is because the Windows installation setup cannot find one when I direct it to the DVD.

We are not sure about installing the disc-drive on our other computer as it may not be compatible.

On the HP Envy using HP Diagnostics when I choose Check Disk it merely returns the message that No Drive is Installed.

HP Recommended

>  The reason I don't think there is an appropriate driver is because the Windows installation setup cannot find one when I direct it to the DVD.

I don't understand.

Does your computer start to boot from the DVD, and then, during the "setup" process, it reports that a disk-drive cannot be found?

> We are not sure about installing the disc-drive on our other computer as it may not be compatible.

It will be compatible.

Any SATA disk-drive can be temporarily connected to any computer as a "secondary" disk-drive.

Boot that computer from the "primary" disk-drive, as normal, and try to access the "secondary" disk-drive.

> On the HP Envy using HP Diagnostics when I choose Check Disk it merely returns the message that No Drive is Installed.

Possibilities:

1. Dead disk-drive.  Try connecting it as a "secondary" drive in some other computer.
  2. No electrical power reaching the disk-drive.
  3. The SATA cable is not tightly connected to the motherboard.
  4. The SATA cable is not tightly connected to the disk-drive.
  5. The BIOS is configured to "ignore" any disk-drive connected to a specific SATA port -- quite easy to do on my older DELL desktop system. Not common to have this feature on HP motherboards.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.