Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-205t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Noticed computer started locking up shortly before Christmas. Will just randomly lock up & mouse will freeze after a time when using or not using. Operates fine after reboot, but will lock again after a few hours. Took to a repair shop & they could not duplicate the problem. Kept for 2 days & said ran continous with no problems. $30 down drain.

I have ran every diagnostic I could find on HP Support Assistant & all passed. Have unplugged all USB items & still does same thing. Even purchased a new monitor. New monitor did not help.

Does anyone out there have any idea what might be going on? Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

cliffw

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Are you using a wireless or cabled mouse? Does the keyboard lock up?

This could be caused by:, corrupt drivers, heat, flaky HDD, or memory problems.

Intermittent problems are hard to diagnose. You did run HP memory and HDD tests.

Check system files (Link). Check system temps using HWInfo portable (Link). Check the memory using Microsoft's boot time memory diagnostics found in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Windows Memory Diagnostic (Link).

Did the repair shop use your mouse? Try a different mouse. Have you tried all available USB ports?

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying to my question.

- Was using a wireless mouse. Also tried a wired mouse. Would lock up using either mouse.

- Yes keyboard would lock up. Unplugged keyboard & still would lock up just sitting unused.

- Repair shop did not use my mouse.

- I checked all USB ports using a program found in HP Assistant; every port passed.

The problem was finally diagnosed & corrected by an IT friend. He took remote control of my PC & found that somehow it had a total of 3 different IP addresses it was trying to satisfy. He corrected this & PC is running fine now.

Thanks again

Cliffw

HP Recommended

Hi Cliffw,

You're very welcome.

Wow, the cause of your problem is very unusual.

PCs are complex beasts!

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.