Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP All - in - one PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
So, originally my sister had discovered that my computer’s screen went completely blue, then said restarting. This was normal to me, since it can automatically install updates, but this time it started screeching with a siren sound. Each time we power it on, the screen stays black and the siren continues. Almost sounds like an amber alert. The only way to stop it is unplug it as it won’t power off once started.

I researched the forums and found it might be a fan issue, or one of my RAMs came unseated. Though, when I pried open the back of the computer, the little wires and reflective, mirror like silver strip where connected to the top and bottom of inside. This means we couldn’t open the computer anymore without it pulling and possibly breaking the wire and strip in half. The only reason we were confused is because in the videos we watched, the motherboard could be placed upside down and the wires and strip were not harmed, but were long enough to be comfortable. I now have no way to check my fans or RAMs, so we would appreciate some advice. Thank you in advance, and feel free to ask for any other information.
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended
Product number: V8P92AA#ABA
HP Recommended

> screeching with a siren sound

That probably is the motherboard trying to indicate that one of the fans has failed, and that the computer is overheating.

With the computer powered-off, and not connected to AC power, remove the side-panel to expose the motherboard.

Locate the fan(s).

Connect the AC power.

Press the ON/OFF button.

Can you see that the fan(s) start to spin?

If not, then you (or a qualified computer technician) needs to replace the fan.

Or, minimally, check to see that the wires from the fan to the motherboard, to transmit electricity, are properly connected.

No power reaching the fan means "no spin", which generates the screech.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.