1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Memory problem at 32 MB

Compaq DC7100 CMT
Linux

Hello,

I have the DC7100 CMT with 4 Gigs of RAM: I tried to boot, but it beeped continuous. Somestimes it beeped 5 times. This means it's a problem with the memory. I removed all 4 RAM modules and replaced them with other DDR modules. It continues beeping. At one tim, I was able to come into the BIOS so I enabled The RAM check on startup. The computers starts normally, but starts beeping at 31 or 32 MB of RAM while checking. This is the same situation with all modules I tested. I tested 512 MB, 256 MB and 1 Gig. Everytime the same situation. I have already resetted the CMOS and it was succesful.

What can I do to make this machine work again?

I have already remove the graphics card (Intel available) and removed other things like floppy drive and HDDs. I use the Intel Pentium 4 670, I can replace it with the original 2.8 Ghz CPU

UPDATE:

I can now test the modules. 3 of 4 are ok. The third causes the 5 beeps. I am testing now the combination with 2 modules in Dual Channel mode. I can normally boot with the 3 working modules (tested with memtest86) if there is only one plugged. I will test it with the others.

I have tested 3 Modules that passed the memtest, but then continuous beeping started and continues at all working modules. I think the motherboard has a problem, but I can't understand why it works sometimes and sometimes not.

King regards

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Memory problem at 32 MB

Run the "memory-tester" with just one stick of RAM installed.

If all is good, move that one stick to a different slot on the motherboard, and rerun the test.

Repeat, for each of the slots.

Take a different stick of RAM, and repeat all the above with that one stick of RAM.

Take only the 3rd stick of RAM, and repeat all of the above.

Take only the 4th stick of RAM, and repeat all of the above.

Take a "matched-pair" of sticks, and put them in slots #1 and #2, and rerun the "memory-test".

Does it report "single-channel" or "dual-channel" mode?

Take the same pair of sticks, and put them in slots #1 and #3, and rerun the "memory test".

Take the same pair of sticks, and put them in slots #3 and #4, and rerun the "memory test".

Take the same pair of sticks, and put them in slots #2 and #4, and rerun the "memory test".

Results? Failures?

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation