Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavillion Power Desktop 580-137c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP PC has been freezing periodically, but now it's just plain not booting.  It seems to get past the BIOS load, but when it tries to start windows, it just gives a static screen (see pics).  Below is a walkthrough of when I try to start it...

I hit F1 once the HP logo appears, and get this

HP1.jpeg

I hit ESC and go to the Startup Menu.  There, I select OS (there's no other viable option).  Then I get this screen...

HP2.jpeg

Then I get the next two screens in succession...

HP3.jpegHP4.jpeg

After these screens, I get this one....

HP5.jpeg

This static screen appears for about 5-10 seconds, afterwhich, the display shuts off and the PC sits there whirring.  Eventually, it tries to restart, but you just get the same screens.

Due to the PC freezing prior to it not booting, I thought the issue was a bad processor.  So, I bought a new, upgraded processor and installed it (which is why you see a 1700X processor).  It did not fix the issuse.  My only other thought is that the MB may be bad, but I'm not sure.

Any advice is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@lumberjacklurch
Thank you for posting back. 

Glad to hear that you're able to boot into your computer with the correct password, 

Let's try and reinstall windows operating system in order to isolate the issue:

Before you start the system recovery, review the following list:

• Back up all personal files and read all caution statements before performing a system recovery. Failure to backup your files results in the loss of files and information that you do not want to lose. For instructions to backup and save your files, see Backing Up Your Files (Windows 10,

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961 to Performa System Recovery (Windows 10)

And, also run the System Tests which will check the hardware sub-systems to ensure they are functioning properly.

Open the System Tests menu when Windows won't start.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the main menu, click System Tests.

The steps in this section describe how to run the tests to check for hardware failures and view the test logs.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Another thought I just had was, maybe the graphics card is bad?

HP Recommended

So, I replaced my video card with one from my old pc, and put the original CPU back in (I made sure I was grounded).  Now I get three long beeps, a pause, and then three short higher-pitched beeps.  The PC now does not even get to BIOS.  I read a post that said you had to reseat the vid card, but that didn't fix it.  Any ideas?

HP Recommended

@lumberjacklurch
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. This sounds like a hardware related issue as the computer is not booting up. 
Let's try to reset the RAM in order to isolate the issue.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Echo,

I replaced the graphics card, and it now gets to the login screen, but it doesn't recognize my password or pin.  The first time I started it after installing the new card, I got the blue screen saying Windows could not start properly.  I have a recovery HDD, so I tried that.  It took a while, but I got to the login screen and where I'm at now.  Tonight, I will try the Forgot my password link, and see where that takes me.

HP Recommended

So, the Forgot Password didn't get me anywhere, it just spun and spun and spun.  It spun for almost a day.  I hard reset, and was able to log in (finally tried the right password).  The personizaling window poped up with  "Not responding" message, and it spun and spun and spun.  I'm beginning to think that the MB is broken as well.  It's the only way I can explain the absolute snail pace that the computer is running.  Other than that, I'm at a loss.

HP Recommended

@lumberjacklurch
Thank you for posting back. 

Glad to hear that you're able to boot into your computer with the correct password, 

Let's try and reinstall windows operating system in order to isolate the issue:

Before you start the system recovery, review the following list:

• Back up all personal files and read all caution statements before performing a system recovery. Failure to backup your files results in the loss of files and information that you do not want to lose. For instructions to backup and save your files, see Backing Up Your Files (Windows 10,

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961 to Performa System Recovery (Windows 10)

And, also run the System Tests which will check the hardware sub-systems to ensure they are functioning properly.

Open the System Tests menu when Windows won't start.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the main menu, click System Tests.

The steps in this section describe how to run the tests to check for hardware failures and view the test logs.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake,

Thanks for the tips.  I got to the system tests screen and ran an extensive hardware test.  It took 7.5 hours, but here's the results.

SystemTestSS.jpeg

Now I'm really confused.  If the hardware is fine, why is it so slow?

HP Recommended

@lumberjacklurch

Please back-up the data and try re-installing the operating system - 

1. Shutdown the computer. 
2. Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3. Press F11 once for System Recovery. 
4. Choose the Keyboard Layout. 
5. Click on Troubleshoot. 
6. Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Recovery. 
Note : Back-up all your data as System Recovery will delete everything that you had saved or installed on the computer. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Asmita,

I am trying to use the Recovery Manager, and I'm trying to backup my files to an external USB drive.  It's a 1TB drive, so it has plenty of space.  RM even sees the drive, but when it gets about 4% progress on the backup, it give me an error saying "the destination drive is not connected".  Which is BS!!! It SEES the drive, why does it keep thinking it's disconnected?!  Grrrr.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.