Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 590-p0054
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I put my desktop in "sleep" mode and get busy at my other desk.  Within 2 or 3 minutes, it awakens with a gosh awful notification chime.  If I ignore it, it keeps on chiming even couple of minutes.  Never had this problem with any of my other 6 computers in the same location.  Looking for a solution;  thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@photojim
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Did this happen after a recent window or software update?

Changing hardware device settings and scanning the computer for viruses might resolve the issue.
Step 1: Change device settings in Windows

1. In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager.

2. Click the arrow next to the device that needs to be adjusted.

• To check the keyboard settings, select Keyboards.

• If you are using an optical mouse, select Mice and other pointing devices.

NOTE: If you prevent the mouse from being able to wake the computer, you can still wake the computer using the Sleep button on the keyboard or the power button on the front of the computer.
    • If the computer is using an "always-on" Internet connection, select Network Adapters.

• To check the high definition audio settings, click Sound, video, and game controllers.

3. Double-click the name of the device to open a Properties window.

4. Click the Power Management tab.

If the Power Management tab is not available, click the Change Settings button. The same Properties window opens with the Power Management tab available.

If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

5. Deselect the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer.

Allow this device to wake the computer option in the Power Management tab

6. Click OK, close open windows, and then restart the computer.

7. Repeat these steps for additional devices, if needed. You might need to do this for each of the devices listed: mice, keyboards, network adapters, and sound.

If the issue persists after changing hardware settings, continue to the next step.
Step 2: Check for a problem with a connected device: Some devices can cause sleep/standby issues. Disconnect the devices to test if they are causing the issue.

Step 3: Update antivirus software definitions and scan the computer for viruses.

Step 4: Scan for malware using Windows Defender:

Open the Windows Defender app, and then complete a full scan for computers with Windows 10.

1. In Windows, search for and open Windows Defender Security Center.

2. Click Virus & threat protection.

Virus & threat protection on the Windows Defender opening screen

3. Click Advanced scan.

Virus & threat protection screen with Advanced scan option

4. Select Full scan, and then click Scan now.

The scan might take over an hour to complete, and the computer might run slowly during the scan.

5. To view the scan results, search for and open the Windows Defender Security Center app, click Virus & threat protection, and then click Scan history.

For additional information, click See full history.

• If no threats were detected, no action is necessary.

• If threats were detected, choose from the options that display, such as Clean threats or Start actions, to resolve the threat.

For more information about using Windows Defender, go to Using Windows Defender to Prevent Virus and Spyware Problems (Windows 10).

Virus & threat protection screen with Scan history option

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.