Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-570t CTO Desktop - Product #: LC120AAR
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, 

After reviewing available updates for my desktop on HP's support webpage under "HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads", amongst the updates was a BIOS update that was several revisions newer than what I had.  I decided to download it and install it (I did not use HP Support Assistant).
While I was in Windows 7 (Pro/64), the update seemed to go as I would've expected and when the system rebooted, it would not boot into Windows but just went to a blank screen.
After waiting 20+ minutes on the blank screen, I shut the power off and turned the system back on.  It still doesn't boot into Windows.  I have even tried going into the 'Startup Menu' to access the BIOS settings, and I've tried accessing 'System Recovery' using the F11 key, but neither of these options work.  I have also tried removing power to the PC out of the chance that might be needed.  The last thing I've tried is a BIOS recovery (using the Windows+B keys while powering on) to access the BIOS update screen, but that also seemed to fail.  

My desktop is setup to Execute POST Delay and in all these cases, when the system starts to boot, I still get to the point where the basic hardware information is displayed as well as the BIOS version, but I am not able to get any further with the above recovery options.

Could someone please offer any suggestions on what else I could try.  (FYI - my desktop has been out of warranty for quite some time).  
If there aren't any suggestions, what are my options ?

Thanks ahead of time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Things are good :generic:  Since posting, I proceeded to try a couple of things... mostly out of desperation.

Thanks for all the helpful responses :Wink:  lol  

(sarcasm meant purely humorously and no jabs)

1) I removed all non-std hardware that I had added in (video card, digital recording/capture card, USB dongles for mouse/keyboard.  This sounded like it had potential and was a suggestion offered by the website troubleshooting tool .  Unfortunately, this didn't seem to do anything to help the matter.  

2) I cleared/reset the standard CMOS settings (using the jumper).  This seemed to be the ticket !   When powering the PC on now, the BIOS menu is functional again and Windows boots up without any problem.  It seems I don't need to restore the BIOS now, so I think I'll be good with the newer BIOS that I had loaded in.

I was probably an hour away from ordering a new MOB off eBay.  Fortunately I didn't need to go down that path.

Hope this is helpful to anyone that falls into the same hole I was in.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Things are good :generic:  Since posting, I proceeded to try a couple of things... mostly out of desperation.

Thanks for all the helpful responses :Wink:  lol  

(sarcasm meant purely humorously and no jabs)

1) I removed all non-std hardware that I had added in (video card, digital recording/capture card, USB dongles for mouse/keyboard.  This sounded like it had potential and was a suggestion offered by the website troubleshooting tool .  Unfortunately, this didn't seem to do anything to help the matter.  

2) I cleared/reset the standard CMOS settings (using the jumper).  This seemed to be the ticket !   When powering the PC on now, the BIOS menu is functional again and Windows boots up without any problem.  It seems I don't need to restore the BIOS now, so I think I'll be good with the newer BIOS that I had loaded in.

I was probably an hour away from ordering a new MOB off eBay.  Fortunately I didn't need to go down that path.

Hope this is helpful to anyone that falls into the same hole I was in.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.