Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700PC Series Model No. 700-215xt
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP desktop quit working while I was gone for a shortwhile. I checked the power, and switched on and off a few times, but nothing happens. What can I do. Any suggestions will be welcome.

The product name is: HP Envy 700PC Series Model No. 700-215xt

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> Product Name: HP Envy 700PC Series Model No. 700-215xt

> Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

> My HP desktop quit working while I was gone for a shortwhile.

> I checked the power, and switched on and off a few times, but nothing happens.

Given that you state "Windows 7", the HP Warranty probably has expired.

If the computer plugged-in directly to a wall-outlet, unplug it.

Plug in an ordinary lamp, to confirm that a circuit-breaker has not been tripped.

If the power-cord is connected to a power-bar, disconnect the power-cord from the computer from the power-bar, and connect it to a different socket.

Plug the lamp into the power-bar, to see if the power-bar is passing any power to the lamp.

Try a different power-bar.

Read the "How To" documents at: HP ENVY 700-215xt CTO Desktop PC

With the computer powered-off, remove the side-panel, to expose the motherboard.

Is there a green? yellow? lamp somewhere on the motherboard, to indicate that there is a "trickle" of power?

Disconnect the AC power-cord.  Does that lamp eventually go dark?

Reconnect the AC power-cord.  Does that lamp instantly light up?

Power-on the computer, and look for the fan on top of the processor to start spinning.

Listen for the fan inside the power-supply to start spinning, and making noise, and pushing air to its exhaust port.

Does any "splash" screen, or "text" messages, appear on the monitor?

It's possible that your computer's power-supply has failed.

It's possible that your motherboard has failed.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

> Product Name: HP Envy 700PC Series Model No. 700-215xt

> Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

> My HP desktop quit working while I was gone for a shortwhile.

> I checked the power, and switched on and off a few times, but nothing happens.

Given that you state "Windows 7", the HP Warranty probably has expired.

If the computer plugged-in directly to a wall-outlet, unplug it.

Plug in an ordinary lamp, to confirm that a circuit-breaker has not been tripped.

If the power-cord is connected to a power-bar, disconnect the power-cord from the computer from the power-bar, and connect it to a different socket.

Plug the lamp into the power-bar, to see if the power-bar is passing any power to the lamp.

Try a different power-bar.

Read the "How To" documents at: HP ENVY 700-215xt CTO Desktop PC

With the computer powered-off, remove the side-panel, to expose the motherboard.

Is there a green? yellow? lamp somewhere on the motherboard, to indicate that there is a "trickle" of power?

Disconnect the AC power-cord.  Does that lamp eventually go dark?

Reconnect the AC power-cord.  Does that lamp instantly light up?

Power-on the computer, and look for the fan on top of the processor to start spinning.

Listen for the fan inside the power-supply to start spinning, and making noise, and pushing air to its exhaust port.

Does any "splash" screen, or "text" messages, appear on the monitor?

It's possible that your computer's power-supply has failed.

It's possible that your motherboard has failed.

HP Recommended

Thanks mdklassen.

It looks like the power supply failed. I looked to see if HP has a power supply part for the computer, but I couldn't find it. HP person suggested that I take it to a nearest HP authorized dealership. But, if a power supply for the computer is available, I would rather want to buy it and install it myself. Any idea would be welcome.

HP Recommended

From HP Part Surfer

Adapter

AC Adapter Please click here for important information regarding the differences between Power Cords, Power Modules, and AC Adapters.
   700393-001A/C Adapter - 40Watt/19V - Liteon
   737689-001AC Adapter - 50W/19V- DA-50F19-APD

i.e., two adapters can be ordered from HP.

HP Recommended

Hi mdklassen:

I already went to eBay and ordered a power supply Oart No, 667893-003. Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

I bought a power supply and installed it. But, nothing happened. It looks like the problem was with the motherboard. I am wondering if it is possible to buy a smaller new desktop computer and replace the hard disk with the disk on my failed computer.

HP Recommended

> I am wondering if it is possible to buy a smaller new desktop computer and replace the hard disk with the disk on my failed computer.

Yes, it should be physically possible.

However, moving the current disk-drive to the new computer will invalidate the license (embedded on that disk-drive) to run Windows.

Also, you will have to reactivate Windows on the new computer, using the product-key embedded on the new motherboard.

This assumes that both computers are running Windows 10 Home, or both are running Windows 10 Pro.

HP Recommended

What if the OS is Windows 7 (64-bit), and if I buy an used computer with either no OS or with Windows 7 computer?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@msakitajstor@  wrote:

What if the OS is Windows 7 (64-bit), and if I buy an used computer with either no OS or with Windows 7 computer?

Moving the current disk-drive to the new computer may invalidate the license (embedded on that disk-drive) to run Windows 7.  If you installed the "retail" version of Windows 7 onto that disk-drive, you are entitled to ONCE move the license to a different computer. 

If Windows 7 was pre-installed on your current computer, there should be the Microsoft decal, on the outside of the computer, giving a 25-character product key that you can use to "activate" Windows on the new motherboard.

If Windows 7 was pre-installed on the new computer, there should be the Microsoft decal, on the outside of the computer, giving a 25-character product key that you can use to "activate" Windows (the copy installed on the old disk-drive).

HP Recommended

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.