Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP Pavilion HPE (desk top) is currently locked up in a continuous loop, i.e.; on my desk top screen the the circular spinning busy symbol never stops.

1. I tried ctrl-alt-del... nothing happened - the loop continued

2. I tried power down (power off) including unpluging the PC - I restarted nothing

3. I am running MS Office 7 - no issues for several months

Your help is welcome...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi GED12

Boot the PC and tap the "F8" key to see if it will boot in safe mode. Schedule a Checkdisk at reboot.

You may have a system driver conflict. It could be too many startup items or malware.

It could be a driver problem or a hardware problem. For example, your HDD or memory could be failing.

Have you tried to run any HP hardware diagnostics from a bootable USB stick or the HDD? All HP diagnostics options can be downloaded here. You can create a bootable USB stick using a different PC. Boot to the stick on your PC and run hardware diagnostics.

You did not provide a specific model but I think the HPE series uses HP Vision Diagnostics. But there may be some UEFI BIOS HPE systems in the wild.

I am trying to jog my memory on where the component diagnostics is on your PC so tap 'ESC" at boot to see if you can locate the diagnostic option.

Grzy

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi GED12

Boot the PC and tap the "F8" key to see if it will boot in safe mode. Schedule a Checkdisk at reboot.

You may have a system driver conflict. It could be too many startup items or malware.

It could be a driver problem or a hardware problem. For example, your HDD or memory could be failing.

Have you tried to run any HP hardware diagnostics from a bootable USB stick or the HDD? All HP diagnostics options can be downloaded here. You can create a bootable USB stick using a different PC. Boot to the stick on your PC and run hardware diagnostics.

You did not provide a specific model but I think the HPE series uses HP Vision Diagnostics. But there may be some UEFI BIOS HPE systems in the wild.

I am trying to jog my memory on where the component diagnostics is on your PC so tap 'ESC" at boot to see if you can locate the diagnostic option.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi Grzy;

Your solution worked for me!

Ref: "Boot the PC and tap the "F8" key to see if it will boot in safe mode"

Next - I selected to start in safe mode (as suggested)

Next - I selected to restore to a previous time 

It took about 10 minutes - there was an auto reboot and back to normal!

May God Bless You!

Thanks...GED

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.