Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Mr Wood Sir,

I'm sorry to be a pain.

Having closed down for 3 hours and returned to boot up the same problem has occured. I can only get so far. If I manage to get to my home screen then the cursor freezes on which ever app icon I choose. This afternoon I had to switch off again on the cabinet/PC and 30 seconds later it booted up in good speed and with no freezing. It's like going to the car without the key; returning with the key and access is then completed. I've tried Windows PowerShell as suggested by Microsoft Community but got nowhere.

Regards,

Keith.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Mr Wood Sir,

I picked up your reply to my problem via email yesterday and replied with great satisfaction. I predicted that all would be okay, having carried out a reboot directly after a close down because the PC did indeed boot up much quicker without the external hard drive being connected. However, my euphoria was premature. This morning, with the hard drive still not connected, the same problem was back. It is now clear to me, the PC will not accept an initial boot up from cold. Over 10 minutes or more I can eventually get through to the sign in panel but the short vertical marker/line is static and does not react to the cursor and the cursor freezes. After a 20 minutes wait nothing changes so the only option is for me to switch off at the main cabinet button and try again after a minute. This time, after an extended period I can get through to the sign in panel and get in to my home screen, but even then there are temporary freezing problems for a while.

[content removed. ]

Regards,

Keith.

HP Recommended

@sweetcorn024 

The PC boot operation is complex and consists of several distinct phases, each of which has different issues.  So, the important thing is to try to figure out which phase is the one taking the most time.

To do this at all, you have to go into the BIOS settings and change them so you can see the POST (Power On Self Test) messages.  All BIOS settings handle this differently, but there is usually some option that allows you to disable any graphics screen and see the messages instead.

Until you do that, you will have no way of knowing what is delaying the boot process.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.