Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 Convertible Microtower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Compaq Elite 8300 Convertible Microtower. It has an Intel Core i5 3470 vPro. It had 1 stick of 4GB DDR3 DIMM. I had 2 sticks of 2GB DDR3 SODIMM, so I bought 2 SODIMM to DIMM adapters and 1 stick of second hand 4GB DIMM. I started to use them all, and it works fine and makes a total of 12GB RAM. It's just that every now and then the PC won't boot and give me 5 beeps indicating that there is something wrong with the RAM. I think that it's getting loose, and I had to insert the sticks and move them in certain ways. Maybe because whenever I take them out and put them back I lie down on the floor and push them in. I might have been bending them as I lock it in. Today thought, I turned it on and said my brother reminded me to give him the mod and texture pack he wanted in Minecraft. So I went in the local account I made for him and put the mod and texture pack. Loading into a local world, it wouldn't render anything, then crashed. I tried it again, but same thing. It says that it crashed due to a memory allocation in Java, so you should download the latest version. So I did. When I went back in, same thing, but I checked the render distance and it was set to 50 (Insane) which is what was probably taking up a lot of the RAM. I set it to 16 (Far) and it finally rendered. A bit later the PC suddenly turned off. I got it to turn on again and went to my admin account and launched Minecraft as well. It was working fine, then it turned off again. I booted it up AGAIN, and while I wasn't doing anything, I got a BSoD. Stop Code: Kernel Security Check Failure. I searched up some solutions, and I saw a bunch of causes, but I'm sure it had something to do with the RAM. So I uninstalled the sticks, but reinstalling at least 1 wouldn't work. I thought that it was probably wrong to install it upright anyway, and the only reason I lay down is so I can fit both my hands properly. So I put it on a table and tried a couple times on an extension because I use a Computer Voltage Regulator, which was plugged to said extension. And after a couple of times I heard the extension crackling (it was old and I found out that it was half open because it was broken). So, I tried to just plug it into a wall socket, and after many , many tries, I got 1 stick to work, then I tried another until it worked it wasn't beeping and it gave me the 'warning' where it booted without the same amount of RAM as last time and will record it in the system's log and press F1 to continue. You see I had to bend it a bit. I noticed how I was installing it and when I push it down and apply pressure, I think that I'm also pushing it to the side. So, I then tried putting the two SODIMMs (via adapters), but no luck. ( I was able to do it last time thought, I put it one by one while lying on the floor, then I sort of bent the SODIMMs the other way a bit , just to counter it, and to my surprise it booted again.)  So I thought it was fine having 8GB for now, so I put it back under my table and plugged everything back where it belonged, but the extension was still broken. Whenever you plug something in and it takes power it crackles, and the more it needs the more it crackles and the PC would give me 4 Beeps while blinking Red 4 times indicating that there is something wrong with the power, So I used a different extension. The same model, but newer and definitely not broken, but alas the PC wouldn't boot. It would turn on and off repeatedly and would beep the sequence every time I cut the power. I tried to follow the 'Corrective Action' at https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/bph07107 under 'Computers Released before 2015', but nothing would work. I even tried plugging it back to the wall socket and using a different cable, but it still gives me the sequence. (4 Beeps while 4 blinks then after a pause a beep then all the LED inside on the motherboard turns off. Just to be clear the last time I've had problems with the RAM would be weeks before this. I just use the PC everyday. Some YouTube, some Minecraft. Stuff like that.

Is there a solution, or is there something wrong with the motherboard considered I ave problems with both the RAM and this?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@W4RR10R 

I think the problem is related to too many "adapters" in the chain.  I'm surprised the RAM adapters even worked as long as they did.  Using a different RAM than the PC requires is asking for problems and adding an adapter is not the solution.

As to the crackling, that is NEVER a good sign and probably, something shorted OUT as an result.

We have no diagnostics you can run to check out a motherboard and, as far as I know, no one else has any either -- they are too complicated and too varied for any single set of diagnostics to be effective.

You could very well have shorted out the motherboard using the RAM adapters, and if that is the case, you might have to bear the whole cost of replacing it.

Here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: https://support.hp.com/in-en/service-center

You would need to contact the one closest to you and see what they can do for you.  We can do nothing from here.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.