Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried everything I could think of except removing the SDD disk but I stripped the screw that holds it in so not good.

When I power it up and have it open on my table.  I get thr Processor fan spinning for a about 20 secs before it stops. And the power light on the front goes out. I tried swapping the power supply.  That did nothing.   I popped the CMOS battery out WIth no change.  I took out the memory module.  That is the only time that is beeped.   Because it was the only memory module in the PC. Still no video though. I tried all holding the power button sequences.  Still nothing.

So I am at my wits end with this PC.   So at this point is it the motherboard?? or the Processor?? ot the SSD.

Help!!

TIA

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@SusanTCI,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Did this happen -to your knowledge, after a power outage or brown-out, or liquid spillage?

Question: do you know what processor is installed, and do you have a graphics card?

What I would do first: unplug everything, such as an external drive, any other USB-connected devices except the dongle(s) for mouse/keyboard and keep your monitor plugged in.

Then push the power button and keep pushing it in until the CPU cooling fan stops.  Release power button and repeat.

If this doesn't work, alternate the one RAM module to the next RAM slot, and try to start up, until you have tried all RAM slots.

Report back.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

Did this happen -to your knowledge, after a power outage or brown-out, or liquid spillage? No Not to my knowledge.  The Pc worked one and then the next day it didn't.  I bought it home to work on it.   It is behaving exactly the same way it did there.

I am not sure of the processor.  I think its an i5 Gen 7 or gen 8.

Everything is already unplugged included the internal DVD.  

I have already tried that power thing but not more than one at a time never in succession. Like that. I will try that later.

And  I don't have any extra memory to swap in .

I don't know if this makes a difference but is a SFF unit.

HP Recommended

@SusanTCI,

With regard to the RAM, what I would like you to try is to move your RAM stick to the second RAM slot, and power on your PC, to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, remove the RAM stick and move it to the third slot, etc.  Of course, you only remove/install RAM when you have powered down your computer and have disconnected your desktop from your power cord.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

I   purchased memory for it no difference. I tried the different slots.  No difference.  The only reaction I get out of it is when I have no memory in it and it beeps.  No video.  I even tried puilling thew M.2 drive out.  Nothing.. I have tried 2 different power supplies.As well. I am thinking at this point it the motherboard.  What do you think?

HP Recommended

@SusanTCI,

Given my own anecdotal experiences over the years, I would say, yes: it is quite possible that after all the things you tried, you got a bad motherboard.

Fortunately, replacing an HP ProDesk 600 G4 motherboard is very affordable via an eBay Seller. 

Purchase options -you can search eBay and take a look in case a better deal has appeared -DON'T buy a "for parts only" motherboard, preferably buy from a "Top Rated Plus" Seller, and pick a Seller who allows for returns, because if even that intervention doesn't work, you can return it to get your money back -minus shipping, which shouldn't be that much, such as:

If you have the SFF (Small Form Factor) model: HP ProDesk 600 G4 SFF Motherboard L05338-001 | eBay

If you have the MT (Micro Tower) model: HP L02062-001 ProDesk 600 G4 MT LGA 1151 DDR4 Desktop Motherboard | eBay

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

I purchased it ..lets see what happens.

Thanks for all your help

HP Recommended

@SusanTCI,

You are welcome -please let us know how it goes!

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.