Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z820 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.

I bought a new Z820 Desktop PC Chassis.

The oldest was damaged - front usb ports no longer work - when sent to a buyer .

So, I assembled the new computer.

All ports, drives, memory (all slots CPU0), SAS, fans, power Button...work

The only problem, I can't stop or reboot from OS, I have to use the power button to stop it (or stop it and Start it after).

If I entere BIOS setup, when I exit, it freezes and I have to user power button.

I didn't have this problem with the oldest chassis.

Did I forget something to do after mounting motherboard (I built several computers in my live...)

Thank you for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Tough situation.

You had a hardware problem (USB) with the old chassis. Now you have a Windows problem, or a possible hardware problem, but different, with a new chassis.

I would run HP Diagnostics (Link) to check hardware.

Run a Windows check disk to check for OS file problems (Link).

The cause of this problem has unlimited origins.

Try a clean W10 install on a different storage device. Or do this (reinstall Windows) on the current storage device but back up data before proceeding. This action would eliminate a Windows file corruption problem if HP diagnostics and a check disk does not help.

You can enter and, assuming, navigate the BIOS but the system freezes when you exit to load Windows.

The problem could be physical memory or any other device connected to the motherboard which also includes the power supply.

It sounds like a Windows file corruption problem but it could be flaky hardware.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi.

Thank you to try to help me.

HP Diagnostics don't find issues.

I reinstalled Windows and I have the same behaviour.

I'm going to remove all removable components and I'll add them one by one to see which one is faulty.

I'll post the result.

Regards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.