Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My desktop is stuck on the HP boot screen

Hp compaq
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
I have Tried all the options I could find online and still the computer is stuck on the HP screen
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Your PC is not successfully completing the Power On Self Test (POST).

All internal chassis work should be done with the system disconnected from AC power. Depress the power switch to drain residual power from the MB after disconnecting AC power from the system. Work in a static free environment or use anti static wrist strap or mat.

I am guessing the system is unresponsive so you cannot get to the BIOS to reset the BIOS to defaults, is this correct?

See if the system will complete the POST after each step.

Disconnect all unnecessary peripherals including network connections and printers. Even try just using a monitor.

Start troubleshooting by cleaning the insides with compressed air and replacing the MB CR2032 battery. Carefully examine the MB and discrete graphics card for thermal damage or leaky or bulging capacitors.

Try each stick of RAM in each memory slot. Swap in a known good stick of RAM in each memory slot. Remove all RAM, power on the system to see if you get a POST error message.

Disconnect HDD's/SSD's, optical drives, and card reader if applicable (one at a time).

Swap in a known good graphics card or use onboard graphics.

Swap in a known good power supply.

Now you are down to a probable motherboard problem. You would have to swap in a known good CPU to verify it is the motherboard and not the processor.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It will let me get into the bios and mess around with it... not sure what to change though
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Try setting the BIOS to defaults.

Please see here for possible locations for this setting.

Tom

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation