3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Need to install WIndows on a new HDD.

CQ1040SC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My PC does not boot from the Hard Disk Drive. I get error message BIOHD1 and I cannot contact the HDD even with a recovery CD, also it is a strange very weak sound from the HDD so I assume it is totally crashed.

I do not know well about computers, but I plan to install a new SATA HDD. as I keep the Windows 7 code, I thought I could download a ISO file of Windows 7 Home which I had before. However, when I input the product key for Windows in Microsoft website, I get the answer:  The given product key is valid for a pre-installed product. Please contact the manufacturer.  So I wonder: How can I get in contact with HP to as for their support ?   Any e-mail to contact with ?.  Yes, I know the warrnty has expired, but it ought to get some help how to proceed and solve the problem.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You can get a Windows 7 Home Premium ISO at the following links:

Heidoc  (Link) (available at certain times each month)

Get Into PC (Link

You can convert the downloaded ISO file to bootable media using this Microsoft tool available at (Link).

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi, Thank you so much for your reply and idea of how to proceed. As I just have basic knowledge I do not really understand or think that I can follow your advice as It might be too complicated for me.   

However, Microsoft have a website where you can download Windows 7 (and others) ISO file when you already have a 25 digit product key, which I have. see: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

But as my Windows 7 was pre-installed in my HP desk-top PC when I bought it, It is not possible to download the ISO file from Microsoft. Their reply is that I shall contact with HP for this problem.  I cannot find any mail address to HP, nor a chat with a human beeing.  How can I contact with them to help me according to Microsoft advice ?

I should need a step by step instruction.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Chatchu,

You're very welcome.

HP may not help because the Windows 7 Recovery media is not available from HP. And the HP recovery media is not available from third party sites such as Computer Surgeons or Best2Serve.

Download the Windows 7 ISO on a different PC at either site in previous post. The ISO should be always available at Get Into PC (Link).

Save the ISO to the Downloads folder (usually the default using most browsers and Windows PCs).

Now download and install the Windows USB/DVD download tool at this (Link).

Run the Tool and follow instructions at this site (Link) to create either a bootable DVD disc or a bootable USB stick.

You may want to do a DVD to be safe.

Start your PC and boot to the DVD to start the Windows 7 setup routine.

Lastly, install drivers for your PC at this HP Support site (Link) after Windows 7 is installed on your PC.

I would start installing: Original drivers, Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices, and any other items available at this site.

Regards

Highlighted
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Grzwacz.  Thank you so much for your kind help.  You gave a really good description how I shall proceed. I will try it.  🙂

Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Chatchu,

You're very welcome.

Get back to the forum with results or if you need additional assistance.

Regards

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation