Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Need to know will the HP 110-220z American Megatrends BIOS support booting from an Ubuntu Live DVD ISO  on a usb thumb drive with a boot sector

I need to fix a Ubuntu 16.04 load sectors corruption problem.  the cd/dvd drive has died

been through all the disable security and finally got the USB thumb drive listed in the memory list. 

The version of the BIOS is 2.15.126

I have not been able to find any specs on what it can and cannot do.

Now I have lost Ubuntu Grub loader and the machine starts loading win7 each time. It has not been used for over 2 years and Microsoft will demand two days of updates be loaded before I can access any drive from it.

I need the live CD Ubuntu to load from the thumb drive so I can fix grub and use utilities to fix the inability to read certian sectors. [Have run HP diagnostics on the Hard disk, no problems found.]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The support page for that model indicates it came with Windows 8.1, which means it should also have UEFI BIOS.  Depending on the way the Ubuntu Live was added to the flash drive, it might not be done correctly.  See this page on Ubuntu and UEFI BIOS.  BTW: it needs to be a 64bit install

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

The support page for that model indicates it came with Windows 8.1, which means it should also have UEFI BIOS.  Depending on the way the Ubuntu Live was added to the flash drive, it might not be done correctly.  See this page on Ubuntu and UEFI BIOS.  BTW: it needs to be a 64bit install

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.