Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Need to login to windows twice to login

510-p057a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Logging in to Windows 10,  I get the window showing a photo and the date and the login password strip/dialog box.  I enter my password and instead of taking me into Windows it goes back to the photo.  I have to get the login password strip back and try again and then I succeed in getting through to Windows.   This is a somewhat recent phenomenon as it used to require me to enter my password only the once (as it should be).  Is there anything I can do to get back to just inputting my password once without having to reset the system, or will there be a fix in a forthcoming sortware update, please?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On the first attempt, if you type an incorrect password, what happens?

On the second attempt, if you type an incorrect password, what happens?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I enter the wrong password I get a message to let me know - I did it twice with the same result.  That is, the error screen gets me to try again. 

However, if on the screen with just the picture, I click then I get the login screen and then if I enter the correct password for the first time it just goes back to the screen with the picture.  I then repeat and, on the second try, I get through!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> if on the screen with just the picture, I click then I get the login screen and then if I enter the correct password for the first time it just goes back to the screen with the picture.  

Are you being very "quick" about "click" and then typing the password?

If Windows is waiting "too long" for you to enter the password, then it will return to the "picture" screen.

So, that "automatic return" could be happening to you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I am quick enough.   Thus if I put in the wrong code it comes back with the error message.   And it happens after I've entered my password - not before as one would expect if I waited too long.  There must be something I've done but did not notice the difference it made to my login at the time.  Will need to be more observant in future.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pleased to advise that an apparent system upgrade has fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation