Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Need to reset admin password

HP Recommended
How oavillion 500-214
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

Hello, my wife passed away about 2 years ago and I have not been able to use the computer since. I have tried every password that she has written down on every little Post-It note in the office. Nothing works. There are a lot of pictures on the computer that I really want to get off so I don't want to do a full system recovery because I will lose everything. Someone please help me figure  out a way around this. I tried to do a little trick with the command prompt but I can't even get the command prompt up without username and password filled in. Can't even get into safe mode. Please help

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,659
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On another computer, Google-search for "Nordahl offline password".

Download and run this software to create a bootable CD.

Start-up her computer, and force it to boot from the CD, instead of from the disk-drive.

This software can be used to "blank" any existing password.

Reboot, from the disk-drive.

When prompted for a password, just press ENTER.

Set a new password.

Or, remove the disk-drive from her computer.

Connect it as a "secondary" disk-drive in some other computer.

You should be able to see the '\Users' folder on that disk-drive, and to see its sub-folders (with one for her logon-ID).

Open that folder -- Windows will help you "change ownership" to let you access all her folders.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation