Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP RP5800
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello All,

I have a couple of working HP RP5800's discarded by my workplace. Both came with an Intel Pentium G850 CPU.

I upgraded one to an Intel I3-2120 (listed as an option) and it worked fine. I have an Intel I3-3220 CPU (not listed as an option) and attempted to upgrade the other RP5800 with it but ran into a problem. It would not boot up but instead gave me a very loud fan and a black screen. My problem now is that even though I re-installed the original G850 CPU, I am still getting the black screen and loud fan with no boot up.

Did I fry the motherboard or is my fix simply a matter of resetting the bios or something like that?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Try resetting CMOS by removing the CR2032 motherboard battery.

Let the PC sit for a while before reinstalling the battery.

Regards

HP Recommended

I tried that. I also tried depressing the CMOS reset button on the motherboard. I am still faced with a loud fan and black screen and I am unable to boot up.

My research had led me to believe that installing a CPU that was outwardly similar but possibly incompatible would merely result in a non-starting scenario and was what I had faced in the past with my Dells. It seems that may not be the case with my HP's.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Well, then you may have damaged the CPU or the socket.

Or some other, unrelated hardware problem has occurred.

Regards

HP Recommended

It looks like that CPU is still functional as I re-installed it into its original computer and it seems to be working fine.

Which has me wondering how the CPU fried my HP motherboard without itself suffering any damage ...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.