lazytweeter22
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

New HDD Nothing Working

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-257c
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So I got this desktop from a friend used with no HDD, Ram or Graphics card.  I installed a new HDD, graphics card and ram.  Graphics card and ram were used HDD brand new.  Wired it all up, turned it on and nothing......  I can not get any time of video out of the onboard grahics card nore with three other cards plugging them into the board.  I cant even gettin in the bios to see what to do.  Can someone please help me....

2 REPLIES 2
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,637 24,289 2,835 10,374
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@lazytweeter22, welcome to the forum.

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  You can check the sections on Memory, Video graphics and Hard drive to assure that the ones you installed are correct.  Any of these items, if incorrect, could keep the computer from booting.  I am thinking that it may be the video card causing your problem.  Newer video cards require UEFI in the motherboard, instead of a Legacy/standard BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  Your computer was released in 2010.  What is the make/model of the video card?

It is always best to use HP System Recovery media to recover the system after the hard drive has been replaced.  HP doesn't have the media, but you can find it here.  Many members have used this company with great success.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> So I got this desktop from a friend used with no HDD, Ram or Graphics card. 

The Other Person gave a hyperlink to the Product Specifications page, that states that the motherboard has integrated graphics.  So, remove the add-in graphic adapter, and connect your monitor to the integrated video-output port.

Experiment: disconnect the data & power cables from the disk-drive, and remove the RAM.

Then, power-on the computer.

If the motherboard is functioning correctly, it should "beep" (or some LEDs should blink, in a pattern) when it detects that no RAM is present.

If the motherboard is not functioning correctly, give the computer back to your friend.

> I cannot get any time of video out of the onboard graPhics

The integrated graphics is disabled when an add-in graphics adapter is connected.

When you add-in a graphics adapter, disconnect the cable from the integrated video-output port.

>  I cant even get tin in the bios to see what to do. 

With the computer powered-off, hold down the DELETE key.

While doing so, power-on the computer.

The motherboard may report "stuck key, press F1 to enter BIOS SETUP".

If it does, press DELETE.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation