Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0034
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently purchased a new HP Pavillion Gaming Desktop 690-0034. It worked fine for the first day, but on the second day It started to crash every time I played the game Hearts of Iron IV. The screen would go black after a few minutes of gaming and the computer would be unresponsive. I would have to unplug it to restart it. Tech support from the game eventually figured out it was a problem with the graphics card (An AMD Radeon RX580). So I sent the computer back and got another one. Now I am having the same problem with the new computer. It seems unlikely that I got two defective graphics cards in a row, but I can't figure out what else the problem could be. I downloaded openhardware monitor and ran it while gaming and the temperatures never exceeded 60C. Hearts of Iron IV is not a graphics intensive game and the computer specs should be able to handle it easily. 

My question is this: has anyone else encountered a similar problem with this machine, or with this graphics card? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? I read in a review of the product that the PSU is not stong enough, could that be causing my problem? Any advice would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Paul500,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I see from your post that you're having issues with the new Desktop PC. Don't worry well work together to help you find a solution.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you ensured all the drivers are updated either using Windows update or using HP Support Assistant?

Did you try to update the Bios on your PC?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the HP Desktop PC

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

I recommend to restore the BIOS defaults.You could restore the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings. That way it will look at the Hardware installed on the Notebook.

Once done, restart the computer and check.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to Run Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform a Windows update:

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to uninstall the display drivers from device manager:

Display drivers:

Use shortcut keys Win + X on Windows 10

Select Device Manager.

Expand the entry. Right-click the problematic device and select Uninstall device.

You may need to check the option Delete the driver software for this device, and then click the Uninstall button.

Now restart the computer and then update the Bios, and graphics card drivers from our HP support website, using this link.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to uninstall the HP Support Assistant from the control panel and then reinstall the latest version.

Download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to download and install the latest display drivers from the manufacturer's website.

I would recommend you go ahead and download and install AMD detect tool  -Click here

Once you have downloaded the AMD detect tool on your PC, please go ahead and uninstall thee display drivers from Device manager.

Once done, restart the computer and then double click on the AMD detect file which you have saved and click on Run, follow the procedure to install the display drivers.

Once done, restart the computer and check how it goes.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Paul500,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I see from your post that you're having issues with the new Desktop PC. Don't worry well work together to help you find a solution.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you ensured all the drivers are updated either using Windows update or using HP Support Assistant?

Did you try to update the Bios on your PC?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the HP Desktop PC

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

I recommend to restore the BIOS defaults.You could restore the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings. That way it will look at the Hardware installed on the Notebook.

Once done, restart the computer and check.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to Run Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform a Windows update:

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to uninstall the display drivers from device manager:

Display drivers:

Use shortcut keys Win + X on Windows 10

Select Device Manager.

Expand the entry. Right-click the problematic device and select Uninstall device.

You may need to check the option Delete the driver software for this device, and then click the Uninstall button.

Now restart the computer and then update the Bios, and graphics card drivers from our HP support website, using this link.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to uninstall the HP Support Assistant from the control panel and then reinstall the latest version.

Download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to download and install the latest display drivers from the manufacturer's website.

I would recommend you go ahead and download and install AMD detect tool  -Click here

Once you have downloaded the AMD detect tool on your PC, please go ahead and uninstall thee display drivers from Device manager.

Once done, restart the computer and then double click on the AMD detect file which you have saved and click on Run, follow the procedure to install the display drivers.

Once done, restart the computer and check how it goes.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet_singh,

Thanks for the detailed response. I performed the hard reset, the bios restore to defaults, and a windows update of the operating system. I have since played several hours of gaming with no crashes. Seems like one of those things fixed it, thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

@Paul500,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just bought thiscomputer 3 days ago and its doing the same thing to me

..I havent installed anything besides 1 game...might have to exchange it for the cyberpower pc.

HP Recommended

Me too ...just bought this same computer HP PAVILION GAMING 6090050.... The screen would go black after a few minutes of gaming and the computer would be unresponsive. 

I have recorded a video.
I have already changed for warranty 1 time and the new one has the same problem. I have updated the entire system and the errors continue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.