Highlighted
4 3 0 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New HP Slimline 260 - Samsung SSD 860 EVO hangs on POST

Slimline 260-p151nf
Other

Just put a new Samsung 860 EVO into this desktop and it hangs on POST. You can hit 'ESC' and you get the menu option at the bottom of the screen but can not do anything. 

I swapped the 860 for a working 850 and the same thing happens. Both SSD's have the latest firmware install (check on another system). 

I put the original disk in (Seagate 1TB) and booted Windows. I downloaded the latest BIOS (81B4 F.37 13/06/2018) and installed it but still hangs with the SSD.

I tried to change the SATA mode from AHCI to IDE but there is no option to change it.... only supports AHCI

This is very frustrating as I have never had issues adding an SSD into new systems....... has anyone got any idea's ?

Thanks in advance.

20180707_090507.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings telboy007,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

I would contact HP Support if you are in warranty.

A 2.5 inch SATA SSD should work in your PC. The 850 and 860 come in M.2 variants, but your PC's motherboard does not have the required M.2 socket to support this component.

SSDs work fine using AHCI.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have just spoken to HP and I have to say extreamly disappointed with they so called support. This is a snipet of the conversation :

12:24 PM Asha:  I see that you have replaced hard drive to SSD and it is not working correct?
12:25 PM Terry Keep: no any SSD that I put into the machine just hangs on boot.
12:25 PM Terry Keep: I have tried 3 - 2 Samasungs 850 and 860 and one Crucial
12:25 PM Asha: Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
12:26 PM Terry Keep: any non SSD works fine
12:26 PM Asha: We shipped with 1TB SATA hard drive which is fully tested but we have not tested with SSD hard drivers.
12:27 PM Terry Keep: correct, but there should not be a problem replacing with an SSD right ?
12:27 PM Terry Keep: this is a standard thing to do in moden systems...
12:28 PM Asha: Sorry we have not tested with SSD hard drive, If it is not working they you may test in any local shop.
12:29 PM Terry Keep: Sorry, I do not understand .... test what in the local shop ?
12:30 PM Asha: Sorry we support the hard drive shipped with the computer, If upgrade or any changes to the hardware components not working they you may contact any local shop to fix it.
12:31 PM Terry Keep: The local shop will not be able to fix it.... therefore what should happen now ? If this is a compatibility issue then should HP not put a warning on all computers NEVER upgrade to standard parts....
12:32 PM Asha: we apologies for the inconvenience caused.
12:33 PM Asha: we have not tested HP Desktop with SSD hard drivers so we do not have upgrade information.

So a message to all.... before buying any HP make sure you NEVER want to upgrade it unless you have double checked with HP that the standard componet will work !

I will recommend that my client takes this machine back and purchases something else (not HP)

Very unhappy.

Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Really?!

I have just bought this pc and i cannot install the ssd hd.

I will send it back.

I have only lose an evening to try all combination 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

pisolofin, I am glad I am not the only person who had problems with this model. 

I would like to think HP would get their act together and resolve the BIOS issue but for now my client sent it back and purchased another brand which works as expected !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi telboy007.

Can I ask you, what other pc did you buy?

I'm looking for simila pc that support SSD disk, as normal as.

Thnaks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

pisolofi,

I can not recall the model number that the client purchased, but it was an ACER - simular spec and I think slightly cheaper

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation