morning_coffee
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

New Windows 10 Install to old HP Pavilion All-in-one; Need Help

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

>Changed internal HDD that came with computer with a new Samsung 250 Gb SSD to increase boot time.

>Chose to run a new Windows 10 install using install creation tool with a USB.

>Set USB as a FAT32 and set to active before setting up with the creation tool.

>Started PC and went into BIOS to change boot sequence.

>USB and SSD are detected.

>USB detected in <boot> directory, but in BIOS it is shown as a USB HDD instead of removable device.

>Restarted back to post.

>Selected: Run UEFI application...

>Selected: USB: sandisk glide

>Selected: <EFI>
>Selected: <boot>

>Selected: BOOTX64.EFI

Screen shows windows 10 logo then fann ramps up to max RPM and the system stays on the Windows 10 logo for as long as I let it before I shut the PC down.

If I go to Boot Menu (F9) and select the USB then the system does the same thing as the Windows 10 logo except it becomes an HP logo.

I ran through all of my options.  As far as I know I've done the exact same thing as past installations, but this one is tricky.

NOTE: the old HDD that came with the system was upgraded to Windows 10 and was updated, so I know the PC can handle Windows 10 64 bit no problem.  I just wanted to increase boot speed.

Thank you for any help.

1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,687 30,594 2,792 6,750
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@morning_coffee

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Connect the new drive to the PC using a USB-to-Hard-Drive drive adapter (like the one illustrated below)
3) Follow the instructions in this link: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk
4) Shutdown the PC when done
5) Swap the drives and reboot the PC.

NOTE: To do this easily, the SDD has to be the same capacity as the HDD.  IF you get an SDD that is a lot smaller, then before you do the cloning, you have to shrink the largest partition on the HDD (usually the OS partition), to the size such that it, and the other partitions, fit easily on the SSD.

You should boot from the new drive without any problems.

Typical USB-to-Hard-Drive adapter:

USB-Drive-Adapter.jpg

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation