Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Newer BIOS for an old desktop

HP Pavilion t3210
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm looking for a newer bios version for my old desktop. The current version is 3.34. I think there's at least version 3.47 for this motherboard.

HP doesn't support this model anymore.

Model: HP Pavilion t3000

Product: t3210.fi

System number: EL488AA

Motherboard model: Amethyst-M 1.0

I'd be grateful if someone can help.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  HP doesn't support this model anymore.

your computer was manufactured after 10/10/2005 -- quite an "antique" !

Single-core AMD CPU, two 512MB sticks of RAM, 160 GB SATA-1 disk-drive.

I can support HP's decision to terminate support, after 12 years.  :Wink:

What problem are you having that you think that a BIOS update will solve?

That might be a better question to ask.

If you are in the USA, see www.bestbuy.com and search for "refurbished computer".

For about $200 US, you can get a much-newer computer, running Windows 10.

It will be at least dual-core CPU, and at least 2GB of RAM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks mdklassen 🙂 It's antique but Windows 7 is running just fine and smooth on it. I updated the RAM to 4 gigs and stuck a USB wifi stick in it. The machine, the display, and the updates cost together $60 US. The disk drive is 200 GB.

Well, the reason I was looking for a bios update was that Win 7 didn't recognize all of the RAM, only 3.2 gigs of it. This is a known issue in Win 7: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/978610/the-usable-memory-may-be-less-than-the-installed-mem.... I thought that maybe a newer bios would allow you to adjust memory remapping or help otherwise.

But it didn't. Anyway I found a Win XP installation package of the bios version 3.47 for HP:s motherboards MS-7093/7184, which this model also has (7184), here: http://www.driversguru.com/driverdetail/2155481-MS-7093+MS-7184+Motherboard+BIOS+Update.

I extracted the package with 7-zip and one of the files I got was sp26713.iso, extracted it, went to [BOOT] folder, and extracted Boot-1.44M.img. After this I had folder "Update" which includes a rom-file and a DOS installation program (AWFL859G).

I created a DOS boot USB with Rufus and copied the two files on the USB. In the old bios, with the USB attached, I changed the boot order so that the USB would start first (the bios doesn't support USB boot, but it recognizes a USB as a hard disk, so I changed the boot order inside the HDD group).

I booted the machine, DOS started and I ran the installation program. The program asks you to enter the file name, that is 347.rom, and it also asks you whether it makes a backup of the old bios or not. The bios was updated and the machine is working well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> The reason I was looking for a BIOS update was that Win 7 didn't recognize all of the RAM, only 3.2 gigs of it.

Yes, this is a known issue with the 32-bit version of Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10).

The remedy is to switch to the 64-bit version of Windows.

From: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778.aspx

Maximum RAM for 64-bit Windows 10:

Windows 10 Professional -- 2TB
Windows 10 Home ------ 128 GB

Ewe!  Holy sheep!  That's a large herd of rams ! :generic: 

See: http://www.gocomics.com/theargylesweater/2017/09/27

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the links mdklassen. Unfortunately this has got nothing to do with the 32-bit based memory limitations. I'm already running a 64-bit version of Win7. In the article, which I referred to above, it is said that this problem concerns both 32- and 64-bit versions.

It's a Win7:s property/problem which didn't appear in 64-bit Vista. See here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-ultimate-x64-insta...

Anyways the system works fine otherwise and the OS is supported for another two years, so I'll just be happy about it. Perhaps I'll install a second OS, such as Linux, on the machine and use it when needed.

I still remember the times when PCs had 1MB of RAM and I don't recall it made anyone handicapped or joyless 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Start the Windows Task Manager.

Click to the "Performance" tab.

Near the bottom, click "Resource Monitor".

Click to the "Memory" tab, to see something like:

Capture.JPG

which shows how Windows 7 carves-up the RAM.

Notice that only 8070 MB, out of my 8192 MB, is available to Windows -- 122 MB is "missing".  :Wink:

What does this graph show for your system?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It says over 800 MB out of 4096 MB is "grey", that is hardware reserved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> It says over 800 MB out of 4096 MB is "grey", that is hardware reserved.

There is nothing you (or any operating system) can do about that -- the motherboard has "stolen" that much RAM to support itself (and the video-card).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It might be so, but as I said, this seems to be a Win7 problem according to many sources.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> this seems to be a Win7 problem according to many sources.

How can that be?  Windows has to work within the design constraints of the motherboard & of the BIOS.

Also, it is a "limitation", not a "problem".

The 45th President's problem (e.g., the repeal of ObamaCare) is that he has limitations to the power of the office.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation