Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)
  • PC starts and LEDs turn on. There are no beeps but no display. After 1-2 minutes the fans starts spinning very fast. I have reseated all RAM and other hardware. 
  • I have tried resetting BIOS by removing the CMOS battery and using the onboard button. I could not locate any jumpers - I do not think they exist.
  • The problem started after installing a new GPU and disabling the onboard graphics adapter.
  • Initially there was output from the new PCI card and I lost display after I changed the  boot mode to 'Full Boot' instead of 'Quick Boot'.
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I would remove the new graphics card.

Restart and enter the BIOS if possible. Reset the BIOS to defaults or do the CMOS battery routine if the PC will not POST.

See if you can start the PC now using factory graphics and default BIOS settings.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions! Currently the new card is NOT installed and the onboard graphics card was disabled in the BIOS. Is there a way to tell if the CMOS reset is working? I've done that and I still get nothing different.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

The PC should boot correctly if you removed the graphics card, you're now using onboard graphics, and you have reset CMOS.

Resetting CMOS should enable onboard graphics because this would be a default BIOS setting.

I don't know what is going on now.

Fans spinning and no display or BIOS POST error codes suggests a possible: motherboard problem or a power supply issue.

Regards

HP Recommended

When I remove all the RAM and the motheboard beeps at me when I try to power it on.

HP Recommended

Hi,

This HP document (Link), page 200, suggest you have a CMOS reset button on the motherboard.

Reinstall RAM in the correct memory slots. Follow CMOS reset directions at the link to see if this helps.

You could have a power supply problem if you can't POST after resetting CMOS. Maybe one of the memory modules has been damaged. Try one stick of RAM in each memory socket. Repeat this process with each stick of RAM.

Regards

HP Recommended

I think the power supply is OK. I have green light indicating power is getting to the system board. The fans also spin on both the CPU and the GPU. I have no way of viewing any of the BIOS menus. I have reseated all of the RAM, one stick at a time to rule out any bad ones.

I'm currently looking for a way to manually reset the CMOS or resetting the BIOS in any other way. If I could disable 'Full Boot' I would be able to resolve the other issues.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.