17 11 0 2
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

No Power or No Boot, No Monitor

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Slimline s5304y
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Product Name: Pavilion Slimline s5304y BK290AA#ABA
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So the other day, I went to turn on my HP Pavilion Slimline s5304y Desktop PC and it would not start. I'd get a blue light and hear the fans and everything start turning for about a second but then nothing. Through some troubleshooting steps, I've managed to get it to power up and stay on now, but I dont think it's actually booting up, and my mointor is blank when plug it back in. 

- When I boot it up, I hear the fans and everything running, but no beeps or LED lights from the computer. 

- Disconnected all external devices

- Performed a hard reset (pressed and held down the power button for about 10 seconds, then released it.), reconnected the power cord, turned it back on, still no beeps and a blank monitor. 

- Checked the monitor itself out and everything works fine. 

- Checked the display video and power cable connections, both were securely connected tand plugged in. 

- Checked the video cable and video connectors for damage, couldn't see anyting out of the ordinary. 

- Tried to clear the CMOS jumpers. Opened up the desktop, accessed the CMOS jumpers, moved them to the clear" setting as indicated for about 10 seconds, then returned them to the original position. Closed everything up, returned the power cable, powerd it up, still nothing. 

- Tried to recover the bios per the instructions, but made no difference. 

- Opened the tower up again, removed and reseated the memory modules, disconnected the data and power cables from the the hard drive, then lifted the drive out of the computer. Reinserted it, reconnected all the power and data cables. 

- Went to reseat the video card, and this is where I run into issues. I dont see any video card to remove. 

So, from here I guess am I missing something? Should I just trya new video card? Or should I maybe try something else first? I'm at a bit a loss here and all help is greatly appreciated. 

5 REPLIES 5
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After power-on, can you press a key to enter BIOS SETUP?

If not, then the primary suspect is your motherboard.

After power-on, can you press ESC (or F2 ?) to launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics?

If so, test the most-likely suspects: RAM & the disk-drive.

If you are seeing "anything" on your monitor, then the "integrated" video-adapter is not the problem - trying an "add-in" graphics-adapter is not likely to be informative.

0 Kudos
KnightLife
Author
Level 2
17 11 0 2
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Ok, when I power it up my monitor starts, tells me “DVI no signal VGA no signal.” Then it goes immediately to sleep. Oh, and neither the mouse or keyboard will wake it up.
Additionally, during power on I cannot get it to BIOS startup. The monitor just stays in sleep mode.
The same goes for trying to start the Hardeare Diagnostic you suggested.

Again, thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Went to reseat the video card, and this is where I run into issues. I dont see any video card to remove. 

This is the motherboard for your system: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, M2N68-LA (Narra6)

Video

• Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE
   Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.
• Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards*

Note: either integrated graphics or the PCI Express x16 slot are usable at one time; they are not usable concurrently.

So, I presume that you have not added-in an optional graphics adapter, and that your monitor is connected to the VGA-output port on the motherboard.

Does the processor fan run very quickly, i.e., at 100% of its speed, with lots of fan-noise?

If so, this is normal, until the motherboard completes the POST (Power On Self Test).

If the POST completes, the motherboard measures the temperature of itself and the processor.

If the temperatures are "low", the motherboard tells the fan to slow down -- and get quieter,

If the POST does not complete, the fan stays at 100%.

Edit to de-emphasize the following, because you've already reported an answer:

Do any lamps on the keyboard or laser-mouse light up, to indicate that they are receiving power?

Does the computer "beep" once, to indicate a successful POST?

Does the computer "beep" multiple times, in some pattern, e.g., short-short-short-long, that repeats?

Or, do any lamps on the computer repeat, in a similar pattern?

0 Kudos
KnightLife
Author
Level 2
17 11 0 2
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
No, no add-on. Inside remains the same as when I brought it home, monitor connects via the vga port.

The fan sounds about the same a it always has. I can’t make out any difference, at any rate.

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@KnightLife@  wrote:
When I power it up, my monitor starts, tells me “DVI no signal VGA no signal.” Then it goes immediately to sleep.
Neither the mouse or keyboard will wake it up.
Additionally, during power-on, I cannot get it to BIOS startup.
The monitor just stays in sleep mode.
The same goes for trying to start the Hardware Diagnostic.

Try physically removing the disk-drive from the computer, and then attaching it as a "secondary" disk-drive, in another computer.  Hint: disconnect the data/power cables from that computer's CD/DVD device, and connect those cables to the disk-drive.  Boot the computer, and see if Windows detects the "secondary" disk-drive, and if you can read any files from it.

If not, then you have found the cause of your symptoms.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation