Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No boot disk (but Ctrl-Alt-Del) will solve the problem

20-b019d
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi .. I'm using a HP Pavilion 20-b019d All-in-One Desktop PC. Last week, an error started to appear when I turn on my PC.

ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed. 

1. So my first reaction was the hdd, removed the cover, took out the hdd and plugged into another PC. Was able to detect the hdd, all contents are intact and run a diagnostic, no error found. HDD was in good condition.

2. I plugged the hdd back into my HP PC, ran a diagnostic from BIOS to detect the hdd and all, again no error found. HDD was in good condition. 

3. Next I checked the BIOS setting, turn back everything to default and ensure all settings are correct. Still error appeared. 

4. The PC just won't boot. But out of random act, I pressed the Ctrl-Alt-Del and true enough, the PC restarted and went straight into Windows booting cycle. The PC will then start normally and all functions are working.

Question -> Any idea what is wrong? I've also removed the BIOS battery, cleared the CMOS, replace with a new BIOS battery, reset to default on BIOS, nothing seems to work. The error will keep appearing every time I start my PC from cold environment, restarting in Windows ok (randomly this error will appear). But each time it appears, the resolution is Ctrl-Alt-Del and the Windows will load correctly. 

It's not a big problem but annoying, just wanted to find out where is the root cause of the issue. Appreciate any help given!! Thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,983 9,979 937 2,733
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If the hard drive is setup properly and nothing else is trying to take over the boot cycle, then probably the boot manager has been corrupted or moved by accident.

First check in the BIOS that the hard drive is set for the first boot item.  If that is still true, then try the automatic repair built into Windows.  Three failed starts should bring up the autorepair function of Windows.  Or go to the M$ site and make a Windows 10 install media, either DVD or USB flash drive

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media" and follow the directions.  Boot this problem PC to that new media and pick repair, instead of install.  Let the autorepair function see if it can solve the issue.

Actually would be a good idea for all Windows 10 users that have that as a problem solver for future use.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry for my late reply, finally had the time to check this issue again. What I did:

1. Updated the BIOS for this AIO PC to 8.14 Rev.A. (https://support.hp.com/my-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-20-b000-all-in-one-desktop-pc...)

2. Apply default after BIOS upgrade, then set the Boot Order to HDD only and disable all the rest non-relevant.

3. Re-install a fresh Win10 Pro from USB flash drive.

Problem still exist. I don't think it's the boot manager but just can't seem to find the root cause.

Also did a DPS self-testing on the HDD, result is no error found.

Suspect it's probably the mainboard but then again, whenever this happens just need a simple Ctrl-Alt-Del and the restart will boot up Windows normally.

Annoying, any others having this issue or any other suggestions? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,983 9,979 937 2,733
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Considering what you have done, I would tend to agree with the notion of a motherboard problem.  Back in the distant past for computers, there was a problem with many PC's motherboards of a capacitor problem.  As the capacitors began to fail, the symptoms of a cold start miscue were very similar to the complaint posted here.  I would assume that the manufacturers have corrected the capacitor problem of the past but who knows.  A failing component could very well explain what is happening here with this PC.  On a cold start, the components are subjected to slightly different stress than after the reboot attempt.  The reboot attempt with the Ctrl-Alt-Del might allow just enough time for the failing component to stabilize enough to work within limits for a successful start, just like the failing capacitors of old.  One thing you will encounter, the symptom will not improve over time but get worse until the reboot cycle will not solve the failure.  Then it will need to be replaced.

Opening the case and careful inspection of capacitors or odd lookingdevices may reveal the failing component but do not really expect that.  Sooner or later it will need replaced.  AIO are packed and difficult to inspect unless it is removed from the case, so good luck.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation