Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp envy beats enegry start 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, and thank you for the help, I had a windows up date, and my backup drive d is full, and I started getting a error code 90d and a thermal shutdown. Now my computer will not boot up to Windows or stay on for more than a few minutes. I tried a factory reset on it but it will not give me the option. It is greyed out. Please help. I only wanted to use this computer for music programs and a controller. Thanks again

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Given that you purchased it with Windows 7 preloaded, I expect that the original one-year HP Warranty has expired.  So, HP will not fix your computer for free.

I still think that you have an "overheating" problem, causing the frequent shutdowns.

I recommend that you take it to a computer technician, to see if the internal fan is working.

Something is seriously wrong -- not using the computer is the correct response.

If "worst-comes-to-worst", and the computer becomes totally unusable, you could physically remove the disk-drive, and temporarily attach it to some other computer, and make a backup copy of all your Personal Files.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Tampatim123 wrote:

1. I had a windows update, and my backup drive d is full,

2. I started getting a error code 90d and a thermal shutdown.

3. Now my computer will not boot up to Windows or stay on for more than a few minutes.

4. I tried a factory reset on it but it will not give me the option. It is greyed out.

1. Is your "C:" disk-drive almost full?

If you physically disconnect your backup drive, and reboot, do you still have the same symptoms?

2. For a desktop:

Power-off your computer. Remove the side-panel. Disconnect the AAC power. Identify the fans (back-panel? inside the power-supply? On top of the heat-sink on top of the processor.  Try to "spin" those fans, to ensure that they spin freely, i.e., that they have not "seized-up". Reconnect the AC power. Power-on your computer, and look at the fans, to see that they do spin, i.e., not "dead" or not-connected to power. You should feel the air exhausting from the fan inside the power-supply. After a few seconds, hold-down the on/off button for 10 seconds, until the computer powers-off.

Or, for a notebook computer, you don't have the above option to physically view the fan(s).

Instead, Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download, install, and run it, to show the temperature of the motherboard, the temperature of the processor, the temperature of the disk-drive, and the speed (in RPM) of any internal fan.  Tell us what it reports.

3. Overheating can cause an automatic shutdown.

4. Did you purchase the computer with Windows 7 or Windows 8, and accept the free upgrade to Windows 10?

If so, the "factory reset" option may have become unavailable to you.

HP Recommended

Dean, thank you so much for the help, this is new for me so i will try to give you the correct answers to the questions you asked, but please understand that im new to this. that being said, the question about the c drive being full, is no.  something that may help is that i only use the computer for  a couple music programs and a dj controller. i have since learned that this is not what it is designed for. i am looking into how to disconnect the backup drive to reboot and see if the problem is gone. the computer came with windows 7. ( still looking for that information)  I do have a external harddrive wit a back up on it. i also ran a test on all the battery and  it failed. something about space used up on the battery also. im trying not to turn it back on unless i can fid a fix. i dont want to mess things up more than they are. About downloading  the free Speccy, i cant get the computer to stay on long enough to boot up, so im lost on that as well. i did take the battery out and it stayed on a little longer. but when i run any kind of system check, or put the external drive in, shutdown. i will be back with the rest of the information you asked about. i am learing.....thanks again

HP Recommended

Given that you purchased it with Windows 7 preloaded, I expect that the original one-year HP Warranty has expired.  So, HP will not fix your computer for free.

I still think that you have an "overheating" problem, causing the frequent shutdowns.

I recommend that you take it to a computer technician, to see if the internal fan is working.

Something is seriously wrong -- not using the computer is the correct response.

If "worst-comes-to-worst", and the computer becomes totally unusable, you could physically remove the disk-drive, and temporarily attach it to some other computer, and make a backup copy of all your Personal Files.

HP Recommended

Thank you , its a little more than im ready to deal with, i have an appointment to have it looked at. thanks again for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi I will do what You said, thank you so much

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.