Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Slimline s5304y Desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My computer was working fine a few days ago, I transported it to school and now when I start it up I get a black error screen with reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

I went through hp virtual agent and ran everything they said which was 

- hard reset by disconnecting the power cord and holding the power button down for 10 seconds

- reset bios settings to default 

- disconnect and reconnect hard drive cables 

- hard drives diagnostics, which mine failed and didn't give me an error code

Resetting bios to default settings ended up giving me an error message of an operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. 

I disabled that drive and that brings me back to the original reboot and select boot device error screen

I'm sure if I just need a new hard drive but I want to see if there is a different solution before I buy one.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

A HDD diagnostic failure suggests you may have to replace the HDD.

Run the tests again to verify. 

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.