3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Not booting up

HP Recommended
Envy h8
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Product Name: Envy h8-1420t
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
Hi,
I am having trouble with my desktop HP Envy, model h8-1420t. It is running Windows 8 Pro. It is 64 bit, 8 GB RAM. There are two hard drives.

When I started it the screen the automatic repair failed and to go to C:\windows\system32\Logfiles\srt\SrtTrail.txt for more information.

I

Every time I try to start it, I get "Diagnosing Your System" followed by "Attempting Automatic Repair" but the Automatic Repair fails and it takes me to a screen with a number of options, such as Troubleshooting, Advanced Options, Go to Windows 8, etc. None of those options I've tried seem to have done any good. Clicking on "Go to Windows 8" starts the Automatic Repair again.

I tried to do a system restore, but it says there are no restore points. I also tried a refresh, but that failed as well.

I have done the extensive test on all hard drives and everything passed.

I am inexperienced with computers but is there anything else I can try?
Other than doing a factory reset and loosing all my programs.
Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,694
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The "automatic repair" in Windows 8 is not succeeding.

Since you have two disk-drives, do you have about 30 Gbytes available on the second disk-drive?

If so, you can reinstall Windows, CAREFULLY telling to install onto the second disk-drive.

After you do so, you should be able to access all your personal files that still are present on the first disk-drive.

Doritaj
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I am sure I will check to see.
0 Kudos
Doritaj
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I am running the extensive test on all the hard drives again to see if any errors shows up this time also
0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,694
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> I am running the extensive test on all the hard drives again.

Compare to having a bookshelf full of books.  The "hardware" (the book-shelf) may be structurally OK, but all the books on the shelves could be water-damaged.

That "long DST test" can only test the physical components of the disk-drive, i.e., does it respond quickly, and does it successfully read a block of data that it wrote.  The "check-disk" Windows utility checks that the "file-system" (folders, and sub-folders, and files within each sub-folder) is logically correct.  Other checks are also done, including whether the directories for each file are correct -- no two files point to the SAME block on the disk-drive.

So, your disk-drive could "pass" the "long DST", but the file-system could be corrupted, preventing Windows from completing its "boot-up" process.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation