Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

So, I have this really old PC I happen to find not too long ago and I made a prt sc about its specs.

I wonder if the GT 1030 could be possibly work. 

I know that it is old and I already tried to look up update for to motherboard with no luck, which means I stuck with the legacy bios mode and can not switch to uefi. 

I installed the card and all I get is black screen.

Is there a way to make the card work?

Thank you!

pc.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I do not believe that you will be able to get the card to work.

The 8200 Elite was the first PC in that line to have a UEFI BIOS, and the GT 1030 works in that model because I have one in my 8200 Elite CMT.

It worked in Legacy mode too.

Here's the kicker...I also have the 8000 Elite CMT, and I got the notion to try the GT 1030 in that one, fully expecting it not to work, and much to my surprise it worked with no problem.

I find it very odd that HP never made a BIOS update past 2011 for your model.

You have the latest BIOS revision installed.

I just double checked the 8100 Elite support page to make sure.

The 8000 Elite has a BIOS update of version 1.14 from 2015, so I don't know if that made a difference or not as to why the GT 1030 worked, or if I was just plain lucky.

The model I got was an EVGA 1030 fanless model.

EVGA - Products - EVGA GeForce GT 1030 SC, 02G-P4-6332-KR, 2GB GDDR5, Passive, Low Profile - 02G-P4-...

If you want to upgrade the graphics, you will probably have to stick with one of the GT 6xx model graphics cards.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I do not believe that you will be able to get the card to work.

The 8200 Elite was the first PC in that line to have a UEFI BIOS, and the GT 1030 works in that model because I have one in my 8200 Elite CMT.

It worked in Legacy mode too.

Here's the kicker...I also have the 8000 Elite CMT, and I got the notion to try the GT 1030 in that one, fully expecting it not to work, and much to my surprise it worked with no problem.

I find it very odd that HP never made a BIOS update past 2011 for your model.

You have the latest BIOS revision installed.

I just double checked the 8100 Elite support page to make sure.

The 8000 Elite has a BIOS update of version 1.14 from 2015, so I don't know if that made a difference or not as to why the GT 1030 worked, or if I was just plain lucky.

The model I got was an EVGA 1030 fanless model.

EVGA - Products - EVGA GeForce GT 1030 SC, 02G-P4-6332-KR, 2GB GDDR5, Passive, Low Profile - 02G-P4-...

If you want to upgrade the graphics, you will probably have to stick with one of the GT 6xx model graphics cards.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help.

One more thing: do you think the GT7xx model could work?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I wouldn't trust a GT 730 or GT 710, since the GT1030 didn't work.

The GT 630 or GT 640 should work though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.