Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hewart Packard 500-164
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,    I have Windows 10 in a Hewart Packard Model # 500-164 and I cannot get out of Safe Mode.  When I go to Win+R and type in msconfig under Safe Boot it is unchecked but under General in Selective Start Up the Original Boot Configuration is greyed out and cannot uncheck it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @BreBruce-Tampa,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you.

Please go through support documents  Use original boot configuration grayed out in Windows 10 & Exit Safe Mode

If the problem persists, I would recommend you to try and perform system recovery which will restore the PC back to the factory shipped settings. 

Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10)

If this link does not work, contact HP Phone support to get a recovery media to reinstall windows on the PC:  HP Customer Support - Contact

Note: Recovery will wipe off everything from the PC. If you have anything important get in touch with some local stores to get your data backed up. 

I hope this helps. If you need any assistance, please do let me know.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @BreBruce-Tampa,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you.

Please go through support documents  Use original boot configuration grayed out in Windows 10 & Exit Safe Mode

If the problem persists, I would recommend you to try and perform system recovery which will restore the PC back to the factory shipped settings. 

Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 10)

If this link does not work, contact HP Phone support to get a recovery media to reinstall windows on the PC:  HP Customer Support - Contact

Note: Recovery will wipe off everything from the PC. If you have anything important get in touch with some local stores to get your data backed up. 

I hope this helps. If you need any assistance, please do let me know.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.  I'll Contact HP phone support.  I downloaded The Boot Repair Tool ran it on automatice repair after downloading the additional software it suggested but the problem persists. 

I cannot get out of Safe Mode.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.