Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 27-b205na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After upgrading RAM, I have been unable to power up the PC at all. The only signs that it gives is that after pressing the power button, the white LED will blink once and never again. The fan remains spinning for around 5 seconds, stops, and then repeats indefinitely. I am unsure on what to do. I have tried to place the old RAM back in and the same issue persists.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I can't find a corresponding error code at this (Link) that matches your LED error code description.

All I could suggest is to pull the CR2032 motherboard battery. Let the PC sit for about 15 minutes. Reinstall the battery.

This will reset CMOS.

Reinstall the factory memory. Verify the memory is seated correctly.

Try to POST the system again.

You may have damaged one or both memory slots. Maybe ESD has occurred??

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. In terms of removing the battery, is unplugging it from the connector sufficient or should I unplug it and deattach it from the motherboard? Also, should this be done with the PC plugged in, or with no power?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Do this only with no AC power to the PC.

Depress and hold down the power button for a bit after disconnecting from AC power to drain residual power on the motherboard.

Completely remove the MB battery from the motherboard (MB) by doing this in an anti-static free environment, no carpet or conductive surfaces.

I am referring to a motherboard battery. Not the external power supply. Check this link for instructions on removing the MB battery (Link).

To be completely safe it is also wise to use an anti-static wrist strap.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

I removed the motherboard battery, let it sit and reattached it along with the default memory. Unfortunately, as soon as I plugged in the AC adapter, the same thing occured. The white LED next to the power button blinked once, and the fan started spinning again for 5 seconds then stopping. Could it really be damaged RAM slots?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

It may be possible you have slot or memory stick damage. Try each factory memory stick in each slot. Stick "A" in slot one then slot two. Stick "B" in each slot. Try to POST in each scenario.

You would have to have HP Support or a local PC tech take a look.

Nothing more can be done in a forum.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, that didn't work either. 

Thank you for your help anyways. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry we could not resolve the problem.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.