Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

PC Will not pass blue BOOT screen

HP Recommended
DC 5850
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have HP Compaq dc5850 Small Form Factor Desktop PC running W 10 that operated perfectly until I recently tried to upgrade the Graphics card (with a brand new NVIDIA Gforce 210 1Gb).  The upgrade would not take and has never worked with the GCard installed.  I have removed the card and since attempting the upgrade to PC will only now boot up correctly if I leave it powered down over-night!

If I re-start the PC it will not move past the blue HP INVENT screen (with the options to enter F9, F10 and F12).   NO action will move past this screen.  I have re-booted withour any USB devices installed, rebooted with pressing F10.  Nothing works.

BIOS version indicated v1.09

Currently I'd be happy ot recover the function back to being able to re-boot the PC normally every time without the need to wait over-night.

I have little experience in trouble-shooting to this level.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 519
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I can only assume that the wait overnight is to discharge some residual energy maintaining the BIOS state in an unwanted state.

One thing that may shorten the wait is at shutdown Press and HOLD the power in for 15 seconds, not an elegant solution but it may prove the residual charge idea.

Do you have a Restore Point that was created when the graphics card was installed, and can Roll Back to just before the changes were made.

Do you have the capability to do a Factory Fresh install?  Recovery Media?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi.  Thanks for the reply.

No restore point available!!  Relative newbee at this.  I have upgraded 'cards' in the dimb and distant past but they went 100% smoothly.

Just tried the 'hold power button for >15 secs' boot thing and it seemed to work ONCE and only if I remove ALL USB dvices (only have the ireless Keyboard / Mouse dongle plugged it - if I remove that, it works).

Ahhhh

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 519
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

The PWR for 15 secs only removes the residual, and the the capacitors get charged up at next boot and need the same discharge method.  As I said it is not elegant, and it is not long term.

So do you have/could you make a recovery media, mine is like this....

HP Recovery Media Creation.png  OFFICIAL HP WAY.

A possible alternative.

SELECT SECURE/LEGACY BOOT AS REQUIRED, & CHANGE THE BOOT  SEQUENCE ALSO AS NEEDED.

I suspect the BIOS / MainBoard, while not faulty, are misreporting or mis-reading.  On Power Up there is a POST.

POWER ON SELF TEST.

Where things like the ram, hdd, keyboard etc are checked.  Also the graphics may be included in this and causing the stall.

So a rummage thru the BIOS may show a setting / value that jars, if so ask an opinion.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation