Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC Won't Boot/Only Fan on

M8430F
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My PC won't boot.   I don't see the BIOS and only hear the PC's fan.  The Hardrive light flashs once quickly.  The PC Screen detects the initially and than goes dark.  I've left it on more than half hour and it was still the same.  Wondering if I have a BIOS issue, a memory issue or something else?

I've tried to create a recovery USB and CD using a different PC and both were unsucessful (same as not having either, only fan runs).

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings Mayur60.

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

Checked M8430f. HP returns a search result as a retired product. This means there is zero support by HP for the PC.

The symptoms could be caused by any component connected to the motherboard.

Common causes are the power supply or the motherboard. Could be RAM. or a SATA controller failure. It could be a USB problem. Most of this stuff flows back to a failing MB.

You could try a different PSU to see what happens. you could swap in other components (highly unlikely you could find a good replacement motherboard) but it may be time to move on and give this PC a proper burial.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, obviously buying a new computer crossed my mind. It good that some people have enough money to throw at problems with just a few words, someone us aren’t that privileged.

I’m trying to understand if buying a new PC is my only option or do I have others (less costly)?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mayur60,

An m8430f HP domain search shows a retired HP product. I am very surprised you were able to install Windows 10 on your PC.

Please check the product number. Here is an HP Support link on how to find the product number.

It will be very difficult to find replacement components for your PC, especially if the motherboard has failed.

I did find your PC using Google. This link takes you to the PC's release for sale date (2008) and specifications.

The troubleshooting process to locate the failed component is time consuming and requires having known good replacement components. Or you could take the PC to a local PC technician for a diagnosis.

The troubleshooting process is lengthy. I suggest Googling "How to troubleshoot a dead PC" for more information.

There is no magic bullet when looking for the cause of an unsuccessful POST. It could be something simple or not. The probability of major component failure or multiple component failure is high when you factor in the age of the device.

I would first look at the power supply (PSU) since the fans continue to spin. Then check other items.

Or have a local PC tech take a look.

The following list of possible boot failure causes may give you some insight into what is involved in troubleshooting this type of device failure. A successful POST at the component level reveals the bad component. Thermal or capacitor damage on the motherboard requires a new motherboard. Thermal/capacitor damage to an add in component requires replacing the component.

1. Try a different monitor and check power and data connections to the monitor and the PC. Try a different, known good VGA cable

2. Check all internal connections. Visually examine the motherboard and add in components for thermal damage or bulging/leaky capacitors. Replace the CR2032 motherboard battery.

3. Try a known good discrete graphics card if you are using integrated graphics or try integrated graphics if you are using a discrete graphics card.

4. Boot the PC with only a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. Boot with only a monitor connected.

5. Remove all RAM. Boot the PC to see if you get any error codes or beep cadences.

6. Try each stick of RAM in each memory slot. Boot the PC each time to test for a successful POST. Try one stick of known good replacement RAM in each memory slot. Boot the PC each time to test for a successful POST

7.  Remove the existing PSU. Replace with a known good PSU. Boot the PC.

8. Disconnect all internal SATA devices. Boot the PC.

9. Disconnect all internal USB devices, including the front USB 2.0 card reader. Boot the PC.

10. Uninstall the processor heatsink/fan. Remove the processor. Try a known good replacement processor. Boot the PC.

11. Replace the motherboard with an identical, known good replacement motherboard.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with a very detailed response. I will try these out.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mayur60,

You're very welcome.

Maybe you will have a bit of luck (the motherboard is okay) when troubleshooting.

Added thoughts on troubleshooting.

As you can see, you may need the following, known good replacement components to find the bad component:

PSU

Graphics card

RAM

Processor

Motherboard

Regards

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation