Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700-414
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP ENVY 700-414 Desktop PC shut off and will not power on. Only the Green Light on the back of the Power Supply is on. No power to the PC, no other lights, beeping, or signs of life. After extensive troubleshooting, I've narrowed it down to either the CPU or the Motherboard itself.  Even brought it to UBreakIFix and all they did was try a new Power Supply, which did not fix the problem. Since the PC is 7 years old, no OEM replacement parts available from HP, etc. First, any ideas as to whether it would be the CPU, or the Motherboard, that failed? If its the CPU, which is what I think is the problem, are there any currently available CPU's that are compatible with my Pegatron Memphis-B SSID: 2AF7 Motherboard (IPM87-MP)? Otherwise, any other suggestions? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If an element like memory, the processor is damaged you should have a series of beeps
It is therefore more likely that it is the motherboard

Remove the memory, if it beeps, it leaves a small chance that it is not the motherboard
still i have an old HP computer, in some cases it manages to beep, but it is more likely that this motherboard is dead

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

If an element like memory, the processor is damaged you should have a series of beeps
It is therefore more likely that it is the motherboard

Remove the memory, if it beeps, it leaves a small chance that it is not the motherboard
still i have an old HP computer, in some cases it manages to beep, but it is more likely that this motherboard is dead

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your reply and insight! I removed the memory again, to double-check, and still nothing. No beeping, or any other signs of life, so it must be the Motherboard, as you suggested. Thanks for your help, its much appreciated!

HP Recommended

Since the PC is 7 years old, 

Since changing the power-supply did not help, I agree that the motherboard has "expired".

Given that the motherboard is dead, Microsoft states that the Windows product-key that is associated with the motherboard also is "expired" -- it cannot be used on some other computer.

Hopefully, your disk-drive (is it also 7 years old?) is OK, although it is an "antique" disk-drive that should proactively be replaced.

I think that it's time for you to purchase a new computer, with a new Windows license, and a very-fast SSD disk-drive.

Temporarily connect your current disk-drive as a "secondary" disk-drive on the new computer, and copy all your documents/pictures/music/E-mail from "old" to "new".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.