Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop 550-230na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had this PC for about 3 months, and I turned on the power (at the wall) earlier, and the extension lead LED and monitor all power on correctly, but I press the power button on the PC and nothing happens.

I have followed the troubleshooting on this website and it still doesn't appear to work. I have:

1. Plugged the PC directly into the power socket (no extension lead)

2. Unplugged the PC, held the power button for over 10 seconds and tried again

3. Unplugged all devices other than monitor, keyboard and mouse 

4. Left it unplugged for 10 mins or so

5. Tested the power socket with another device

None of which work.

Are there any further things I could try? The PC does not have the green LED indicator that several websites seem to mention.

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello

Can you answer the following questions :

Any lights on the power button ? If so, which color ?

Any lights on the back of the tower ? Steady/flashing ? Color ?

Does the pc make any noise when you press the power button ?

Do you hear the fan running/spinning when power button is pressed ?

What comes on the screen ? Is it Blank screen or Black screen ?

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

***Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP***

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

It seems there may be issue with either the power supply, power cord, or system board that's causing no power. It may need to send in for repair/replacement if it doesn't power on at all.

Before taking that path, I would recommend you move the PC to another wall and try to plug the PC power cord to differnt wall socket. Make sure either side of the power cord is tightly connected.  Press the power button several times to see any luck.

TT

HP Employee (Volunteer)

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

@robbobrob

Can you please follow the steps as mentioned in the document below.

http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03513214

I am an HP employee.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on “Thumbs Up” STAR to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

Hello,

If possible try the online troubleshooter which is very effective.

http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=NoPowerorBootIssues.net&section=ccweb&sfs=isearch&language=e...

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Thanks guys. I've tried all of the troubleshooters suggested and no luck. I have also changed the socket that's it's plugged in to and it doesn't work still. The fuse in the plug has not blown either.

To answer the other questions:

Any lights on the power button ? If so, which color ? - Normally there is a white light, however at the moment no light shows no matter how or when I push the power button.

Any lights on the back of the tower ? Steady/flashing ? Color ? - No lights on the back. I don't believe there are any lights on normally when the PC is working OK.

Does the pc make any noise when you press the power button ? - No noise at all

Do you hear the fan running/spinning when power button is pressed ? - No, it is silent

What comes on the screen ? Is it Blank screen or Black screen ? - Nothing at all. The monitor switches between sources like it normally does when there is no input.

HP Recommended

Then it seems the power supply of the unit has gone bad.

Use the following link to contact HP Support and get the power supply replaced if in warranty.

You might have to do a couple of more steps with the tech support guy.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/contact.html

I am an HP employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.