Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 870 - 224

I’ve had my PC for 2 years now without any problems.

However, yesterday, completely out of nowhere my PC failed to boot up.

The fans turn on, the lights turn on, but my monitor, keyboard, and mouse fail to work. I am able to access advanced system repair, and have reset but with saved settings but the problem still persists. After resetting I’m able to access my PC before it happens again. 

I’m not sure what to do, ask questions if needed.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I am a little fuzzy on what is happening.

Your keyboard, mouse, and monitor are not responding but you were able to get to the Windows 10 Recovery Environment? This can be done when two or more successive attempts to load Windows 10 fails.

You did a Microsoft System Reset. So then your keyboard, monitor, and mouse are working correctly? But only for a while.

How did you do a Reset if those devices are not responding?

Then, your PC works correctly but you lose keyboard, mouse, and monitor function again.

Have you run HP hardware boot time diagnostics (Link)?

Tap "ESC" at boot.

Then "F2". Run System and Component tests.

Can't get a handle on what is happening. It sounds like operating system problems but it could be hardware related. Run HP hardware tests to check hardware. Then move to operating system software. 

You may have to do a clean install of Windows 10. You should backup up data in this case .

I have no idea if you have stable and sustained access to Windows 10 to allow checking for system file corruption.

Regards

HP Recommended

Sorry for late response,

I ran diagnostics on my parts, GPU, CPU, and Board, was ok. I’m not sure how to test PSU.

So, I decided to factory reset my PC, it worked, but the problem began to occur again. However, after turning my PC off then on, constantly, it would work. But after usage, it’d go back bot working properly.

I will now clarify my problem: 

I turn my PC on, the Lights turn on the Fans start running, and the keyboard, mouse, and monitor appear to start working. The HP Omen logo pops up, then after a few seconds, my monitor goes black, my mouse and keyboard become unresponsive, and shortly after, my monitor displays a no signal sign. However, my lights are still on, and my fans are still running. I tried turning it off and on again, but after my third try, the Windows Repair started working. Meaning, after turning my PC off then on, on occassion it’d let me access repair setting. While in the advanced repair settings, it lets me use keyboard and mouse, everything works properly. But If I try 

HP Recommended

Sorry for late response,

I ran diagnostics on my parts, GPU, CPU, and Board, was ok. I’m not sure how to test PSU.

So, I decided to factory reset my PC, it worked, but the problem began to occur again. However, after turning my PC off then on, constantly, it would work. But after usage, it’d go back bot working properly.

I will now clarify my problem: 

I turn my PC on, the Lights turn on the Fans start running, and the keyboard, mouse, and monitor appear to start working. The HP Omen logo pops up, then after a few seconds, my monitor goes black, my mouse and keyboard become unresponsive, and shortly after, my monitor displays a no signal sign. However, my lights are still on, and my fans are still running. I tried turning it off and on again, but after my third try, the Windows Repair started working. Meaning, after turning my PC off then on, on occassion it’d let me access repair setting. While in the advanced repair settings, it lets me use keyboard and mouse, everything works properly. But If I try plainly restarting my PC, the same problem occurs, and I’m stuck in a loop.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Back up data before doing any of the following.

This issue is tough to solve. Incompatible hardware with no new driver support means your PC may not be able to run newer versions of W10 unless you find the device and disable it if this is possible.

What version of W10 are you running? Your PC's download site (Link) shows mostly driver updates for W 1703 and W 1709.

Your system is unstable so it may not be possible to do the following:

Update the BIOS (Link). Update Intel Chipset, Intel Management Engine version 1803, Realtek Audio version 1709, storage drivers. and network drivers. Update Nvidia graphics drivers.

Since the keyboard, mouse, and monitor work when in the WinRE and the BIOS it sounds like you may have a hardware or hardware driver issue when W10 is loaded and running.

I would disconnect any additional peripherals such as printers or other USB devices.

See how things go now.

Then remove the factory graphics card and use Intel integrated graphics to see if this helps. Your PC's specs show a GTX 1060 from the factory.

Pull the RAM. Try one stick of RAM in each slot and check for stability. Your PC's specs show 8 GB of RAM. Don't know if you have two 4 GB sticks or one 8 GB stick installed from the factory.

Do a factory reinstall to an older version of W10. W10 version 1607 or 1703 was probably installed on your PC at the factory. Some piece of hardware may not be compatible with W10 version 1803 and higher. 

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.