• post a message
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC occasionally requests a password

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Pavilion PC occasionally asks for a password on start up.  Maybe one in 10 startups or even less frequenty.  I have set Windows 10 not to ask for a password  -  so I am not sure whether it is Windows or HP that is asking for the password but it does not get as far as the Windows desktop.     If I restart the PC,  it then starts up correctly with no request for a password.

What can cause this intermittent password request?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,247 6,228 313 458
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RichardWL

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Barachiel is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support, to get the password issue fixed. 🙂

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums? ( I know your  time is valuable, and didn't want to waste it by repeating the steps you had already tried )

When was the last time it worked without these issues? ( So that, If there is a chance, we could time travel, to get it fixed )

Have you attempted a system restore?

It might either be a bios password, or the windows log-in password. If you could take a picture of it and send it across to me, I could check it out and provide the right resolution for it. 😉

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Barachiel.

My PC is an HP Pavilion 500 series

I have gone through the usual process for ensuring that Windows 10 does not ask for a password - i.e.  ' Run:  netplwiz '    and can confirm that the box for "user must enter a username and password......."  is still unchecked.

I believe that the request for a password comes up before Windows 10 is loaded - but I am not sufficiently expert to know that this really is the case.  It appears over the pretty scenic screen before we get to the Windows desktop,  so I suspect that it is the HP system asking for the password.  I have searched the web but all I can find is people asking how to stop HP remembering their passwords,  querying something called the HP password manager  which does not seem relevant to my issue.

The problem is so infrequent, it may be somewhile before I can do a screen print.  All I can say, in case it helps, is that,  if I switch off or do a restart,  it starts up again and goes back to normal,   going through to the normal Windows desktop.  It never seems to ask for this password on the restart,  so it does not stop me using my PC -  but it is just a nuisance.

RichardWL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RichardWL

Thank you for replying.

As @Barachiel is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. I truly appreciate your patience and efforts. 

As you mentioned that the password prompt appears over the pretty scenic screen before we get to the Windows desktop, it indicates towards a Windows password. 

In case it was a BIOS/power on password then it would appear way before the Windows operating system starts loading. But what is confusing is that this password screen is intermittent as does not appear when you start the computer. 

If this issue started recently then I recommend you to perform a Microsoft System Restore to rollback the computer to an earlier date when everything worked fine. This will not delete your data. The steps mentioned in "Restore your computer when Windows cannot start normally" from this HP document will help. 

In case the issue persists post a successful Microsoft System Restore then you could repair the Windows operating system by performing a push button reset. The push button reset repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This can be done either while preserving your personal data and customizations, or removing all your personal data. Click here to know more about a push button reset.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

All the best! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi.  It has happened twice only since I last contributed to this forum,  so it is extremely intermittent.  It has made these occasional requests for a password  over the 'pretty scene'  (which changes regularly).    It is very simple to continue  - I just click on the start/stop icon and select restart and ,  so far,  it always goes back to the system whereby it does not ask for a password.  Just seems strange.    It has happened as long as I can remember but I have only recently decided to raise it through the forum.  Therefore a system restore would not seem appropriate.  As my Windows 10 was  a free upgrade from Windows 8,  I do not have original Windows 10 software discs so am a little nervous about resetting windows.  As I am not logged in when it occurs, I cannot do a screen print.  Maybe I could take a photo with a camera?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  I do not have original Windows 10 software discs so am a little nervous about resetting windows. 

Since your computer is running Windows 10, it has a "digital entitlement" to reinstall Windows 10, at any time, at no cost to you, onto the same computer.  Also, Windows 10 has a "reset my PC" option to reinstall Windows, without the need for you to supply any media.

> As I am not logged in when it occurs, I cannot do a screen print.  Maybe I could take a photo with a camera?

Yes, including the camera in your smart-phone.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation