Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ3160AN Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My desktop PC was on sleep mode when tried to wake it up. It starts up fans and usual noises but then gets stuck, screen still black. It does not progress normally but gets stuck at the initial high pitched sound and does not go down to normal operating level. It does not get to start up stage where anything shows up on screen. I've tried hard restarting it and also turning power off but still does the something. Nothing ever shows up on screen and tried all sorts to get operating system to show or start in safe mode, such as passing F8 and other suggestions found by googling. I also tried disconnecting all other devices and have a bootable hardware diagnostic tools CD which I tried and also does nothing. Also, blow the dust out of the unit and checked for obvious damage on motherboard (I'm no expert) and replaced the CMOS battery while I was at it. The monitor has light on it showing power. Also, when I put the power cord back in the tower unit it turns on straight away which it should not do if it were properly turned off. What else can I try? Or is it last resort try recovery discs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I took it to a repairshop and it's the hardware. The motherboard I think - reached the end of the road not fixable.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Frances30

Welcome to the HP Support Community. Thanks for bringing this to our notice.

I see that you are facing black screen-related issues on your system. Do not worry, we are here to fix it.

May I know from when are you facing this issue?

Did you make any hardware or software-related changes to it?

I would suggest you please use the link below and follow the steps. Once done, let me know the outcome of it: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03518095 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I took it to a repairshop and it's the hardware. The motherboard I think - reached the end of the road not fixable.

HP Recommended

Thanks for keeping me posted.

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Pretty sure that's at least the 5th person I've seen in here with a bricked motherboard...
Edit: Oh I do see it might be a pretty dated system? Perhaps it was EoL.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.