Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC with new parts beeping and not booting up

Envy 750se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've got an HP Envy 750se that is about 5 years old now, and I wanted to upgrade it. I bought a new case and new PSU, and got a friend's old GPU. After putting things together (and with a lot of troubleshooting), I was finally able to boot up the PC with the new components plugged in. I updated my graphics drivers, then shut everything down and unplugged some cables to start some cable management. I've since not been able to boot the PC and get any display output.

When I do press the power button, the CPU fans, tower fans, and GPU fans all turn on. I get 3 long beeps and 2 short beeps, According to this guide, this is a memory initialization error. I've tried reseating the RAM several times, in different numbers and different orientations, but I can't get the beeping to stop. I'm not convinced the RAM is bad, since I got things working prior to this latest issue. I've checked each cable connection, and nothing seems to be incorrect or loose. I've also tried using the old PSU, old GPU, and no GPU - still beeping.

Any thoughts?

I kept the mobo, CPU, RAM, and HDD from the Envy:

Motherboard: IPM17-TP (Thimphu)

CPU: Intel i7-6700

RAM: 32GB (4x8GB)

HDD: Seagate 2TB

And swapped in:

GPU: Gigabyte GTX970 (previously GTX745, FWIW)

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation