Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elite 8300
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

recently got an elgato hd60 pro, which while works I have to leave the case off because it doesn't fit. This morning I was trouble shooting an audio problem in my stream, moved the pc to connect my headset to a port in the back and the pc shut off.

When I reboot it, it turns on (light wise) but the fan immediately starts working over time and the pc never actually boots. The light from the usb connected mouse comes on monitor reads "no signal" and I've tested the connection on 2 different monitors. 

I've removed the capture card, headset and web cam. The only things connected are keyboard and mouse, but it's still not working. I put the case cover back on and it still doesn't work.

I'm assuming that possibly something has become dislodged when I moved it but I cannot figure out what. Everything I've checked seems secure.

I bought this pc specifically for streaming there isn't anything on it outside of windows 10 and stream labs. No reason for the power supply fan to be running so loud.

And I just installed the capture card less than 24hrs ago so I don't think there should be an issue with dust or anything just because the cover is off.

Do you guys have any idea what the issue could be?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I would say first and foremost to try reseating the RAM. That can be a common issue when a PC won't boot up and it's usually pretty easy to do, so it's a good first step. 

You can refer to this page for a guide to replacing memory modules in your PC, simply take them out and put them back in.

HP Recommended

Thank you. I reseated and rearranged the ram. Still having the same issue unfortunately.

HP Recommended

Then you’ll probably want to double check that all your connections are in place. An image could help here, but basically you’ll want to double check that the cords coming out of your power supply (usually this will be a big bundle of cords and are the majority of cords going around the inside of your case) are all connected into the power supply. It is also important to check that the ones that need to be plugged in are, but you likely won’t be using all of them (a picture could help with this too if possible). You’ll definitely want to double check that the 24 pin(the biggest connector you probably have) is connected to the motherboard and the power supply. I would also double check that all of your hard drives and ssds (if they are using a SATA connector) have 2 cords plugged into them. One is a smaller card for transferring the data on the hard drive, and the other is a longer L-shaped connector that should be connected to your power supply and powers the hard drive. Again, of you have an ssd directly attached to the motherboard you don't have to worry about this. 

If you need me to explain anything here in further detail, let me know but checking that everything is plugged in is a good idea. I can also attach some reference images if you like. 

HP Recommended

All connections are secure. I'm having a hard time locating that 24 pin connector though. 

PXL_20210328_171146098.jpg

PXL_20210328_171201078.jpg

PXL_20210328_171220829.jpg

PXL_20210328_171235397.jpg

HP Recommended

Tried to upload pics but doesn't seem to be working

PXL_20210328_171146098.jpg

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Might be worth trying to clear the CMOS?

You'll want to look up your specific product specifications and you will be able to find how to clear the CMOS. Some motherboards have a jumper that can be used to clear the CMOS. This is usually some kind of small blue piece of plastic and metal that you take off of a pair of pins on your motherboard and move onto another pair of pins in a specific position. Since this is dependent on the motherboard you have, you would have to look up the specifications to do this properly.

Otherwise, you can do the battery method where you remove the battery on the motherboard for a little while.

This could help: How to clear CMOS 

Other than that it's kind of hard to say. Considering the mouse light turns on, it makes me wonder if the PC is booting up but for some reason it isn't displaying to the monitor. Let me know if this works and I'll try and do some more brainstorming.

HP Recommended

I removed the CMOS battery for 5 minutes then replaced. Still didn't work.

I removed all the RAM and tried to boot. The PSU fan still ran hard and loud about a minute into booting. 

I've been on so many forums today and I can't find where I first saw it, but do you know if the PC is supposed to beep when it's booted with no memory? Because it didn't, if so.

HP Recommended

In my experience, my machines wouldn't even show any signs of life further than fans without any RAM installed. Depending on your BIOS version, some HP machines may emit a short beep followed by a long beep if RAM is seated incorrectly (or maybe not installed).

Does your machine normally beep when it boots normally? If it doesn't, and this sounds a little silly, maybe you should check your display connection, it could be loose and not making a full connection. Another thing to check for is if your hard drive(s) are spinning up and making "normal" noises, which could indicate it attempting to boot.

~ bmk3k ~
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.